Newbie here -- can you help ID this Earth Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cscmc1

Jan 13, 2012
Central IL
God morning, friends -- I have been looking for a decent wood stove for a few weeks, and just ran across this one. I picked it up for what I thought was a very reasonable amount, and hope eventually to use it in a new-build cabin we are saving for (for only occasional weekend use, most likely). From my limited success with searching, this looks to me like perhaps a model 1000; does that sound accurate? Does anyone know much more about this piece? I am excited to try to make use of it, and will be saving up for new stovepipe, heat shields, etc...

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 9,063
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,499
Sister-in-law has one, but with a different emblem. Yours is in MUCH better condition than hers.
Seems like the plate on the back of the stove gave me that info., and I had a manual for it at one point (pdf).
It has some kind of control on the back, but hers is so rusted I had a hard time figuring out what it was supposed to do.
Nice size firebox, and we had a couple fires in it, but no control. I told her to quit using it and get a new stove. I hope you have better luck with it than her.
http://woodheatstoves.com/earth-stove-manuals-c-291_171_234.html
HTH

Thanks, PapaDave. Yes, mine has a brass control knob on the right hand side in the back. No model info on the back, though. I'll keep digging; thanks again!

That looks exactly like my Earth Stove model 701/705, with the brass knobs on the top plate in back and the 10 scallops across the top front, the same scrolled metal on the door, and the same ceramic medallion in the middle. Mine has the original metal tag riveted to it. Mine also has the original factory fan on the back and an OAK fitted. Here are photos of the beastie and the tags:

Attachments

• earth stove.jpg
    earth stove.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 11,328
  • earth stove tag.jpg
    earth stove tag.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 4,816
  • ES damper contol.jpg
    ES damper contol.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,940
  • es ceramic.jpg
    es ceramic.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 2,111
We had one of these when I was a kid. Looks exactly like it. I don't know the model number. It a had thermostatically controlled damper i think. I remember it putting off a lot of heat.
It was my job to bring in the wood in the morning and I could usually start it from the coals

Thanks, guys. StihlHead, that DOES look just like mine. Mine's missing one of the brass ornaments; if you ever lose/damage one of yours, let me know and you can have my odd one. Ha ha! I think mine's been stove-blacked once already; maybe the tag is under that paint. I'll look closer at the back. Looks virtually identical otherwise. Thank you!

I will likely be replacing mine with an Englander 30 this spring. There are a lot of these Earth Stoves around locally as they were made just south of Portland, OR in Tualatin. They list on CL here for around $400 in this condition.

I had the exact stove and burned wood for 10 years in it with no problems. Bought in new around 1985. A simple but great stove and throws off generous heat. My top warped out a bit from high heat but it didn't hurt anything.

It brings back fond memories to see it again. Good luck.

Yah, I believe that my Earth Stove has been in my house from about 1982 (when the permit was approved for the stove). They do not seem to have used it that much as they went through 2 heat pumps between then until 2009. They likely used it on cold nights below freezing when the heat pump efficiency dropped, and when the power went out. So it has been burning for 30 years now.

i grew up with that stove and my parents use it to this day. it is a beast. we used it to supplement the heat pump and sometimes just to keep the common areas comfortable. we had it in the (large) kitchen.

Thanks, folks. I have a couple of cracked bricks I need to replace, and the rope seal is pulling apart in one spot, but it looks to be quite serviceable overall! I'm excited about putting it to use.

There is an Earth Stove 100/105 booklet in PDF format here on this forum that has most of the information on them. Same dimentions of stove, earlier model. It has stove placement diagrams (including mobile home), OAK hookup instructions, chimney designs, operation instructions, and brick size and placement.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/File:Earthstove100_manual.PDF/

Mine had a small grate that the previous owners put in. The booklet says not to use one, so I pulled it out. Set the fire right on the bottom bricks/ashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.