Newbie Here. More Installitions questions. Confused.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnumPI

Nov 15, 2010
SE Pennsylvania
Yesterday, I picked up a Jotul 550 C Rockland insert. I plan on doing the install myself. I have a 25 foot masonry chimney that is lined with clay or terra cotta flue liner. The terra cotta flue measures 13 X 8.5 outside dimension and 11.5 X 6.75 inside dimensions. The flue is fairly straight and appears to be in good shape. The insert calls for a 6 inch liner. The installers at the store recommended that I use 5.5 chimney liner because of the inside dimension of 6.75. They claim there may be mortar or other obstructions that will impede the liner from sliding down the chimney and may cause the liner to tear. However, they also said, if there are no obstructions the 6 inch will go fairly easily. Jotul recommends the 6 inch liner. The installers at the store said they use the 5.5 all the time when the flue is tight fitting with the liner. I am confused. What size do you guys think I should use? I am not familiar with the different drafting issues between the 5.5 or the 6.0 liner.

Are they going to insulate the liner? If so, 5.5" should be fine.

BEGreen. No. They claim there is not enough room to insulate unless I pour vermaculite down the chimney.

MagnumPI said:
BEGreen. No. They claim there is not enough room to insulate unless I pour vermaculite down the chimney.

Adding vermiculite. You could do that from your helicopter. Should be pretty easy.

This is just my opinion, but since I recently self-installed the Rockland, it's easy for me to put myself in your shoes. I'd go with the manufacturer-recommended six-inch liner. I can't imagine having enough sloppy mortar to defeat installation through 6.75 inches, and if you discover "other obstructions", your chimney probably has much bigger issues. I'd do the block-off plate/vermiculite insulation since I couldn't insulate directly.

I think that by taking the time and effort to do this installation to specs and insulating the best you can within your constraints, you won't have to second-guess yourself later. I was pretty meticulous with my installation and it took the better part of a month to accomplish everything, working alone a few hours at a time. But now that the task is behind me, it's well worth the secure feeling that I did a safe and accurate installation for my family.

With your handle, I'd think you would have gone with Pacific Industries! :lol:

RenovationGeorge said:

Pacific Industries makes conveyor equipment chain and bearings. What does that have to do with lining a chimney?

BrotherBart said:
RenovationGeorge said:

Pacific Industries makes conveyor equipment chain and bearings. What does that have to do with lining a chimney?

Absolutely nothing. My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.