Newbie here: Question about pellets in your signatures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CD2011

Aug 28, 2011
Massachusetts
Just installed a Harmon P43, and have been reading lots and lots of the posts here. I am wondering about all the different kinds of pellets that some of you list in your signature.Do you burn different types/brands of pellets over the course of the winter? and if so, why?

Variety is the spice of life! :)

Actually its what I found to be the deal at time of purchase. I can no longer get/afford my favorite pellets!

Type of pellets are a hot topic and also peoples pet peeves.

To learn more about how your stove behaves its worthwhile checking different brands. ALso people usually spend quite some time to gain advantage of a low price/good heat pellet. Its questionalbe if its worth your time in terms of investment, but it sure makes some fun (ever out for a bargain ?) - or you just get tired of unnecessary cleaning after some junk pellets...

Otherwise, it might make sense to use less hot pellets in shoulder seasons and then switch to the good ones when you need the output (usually in situations where undersized stoves cant keep up the BTU output neede din dead of winter - like mine). In my, maybe special case (?), I actually benefit from top brand pellet even in shoulder season, because I can use my number 1 slow feed setting only with good pellets - all others need higher feed rate or the flame will go off on its own eventually. So, I just get rid of last years stuff first and will finally have peace of mind that I get the best possible out of my stove.

At which point my whole investment calculation will get real.

google this.....viridis energy inc pellet brands 2010/2011...download the pdf
it will show you all the different types of pellets and the ash %, heat output etc....
makes buying pellets a lot easier.......

There is a lot of threads talking about batch variation. I will burn 5 ton a year and hope to have that comprise of at least 3 different brands. This way even if a historically good pellet has a bad batch I will only have to go through one or two ton and not five. Although if the price is right I would buy all five ton the same. But, if price is equal I would mix it up.

My pellet plan is to lock in 4 ton from the local pellet house during the spring special and then hunt for my last ton at the big box stores...it's fun to see what they have.

PS: If you have not already done so it is probably a good idea to stay away from Infernos which you will find locally. I do not think they have had a positive review yet.

As a practical matter, your choices are limited by pellet availability in your area or region. The link earlier in this thread has the best organized information I've seen here but you are likely to be able to pick up only a few of those brands. I would try to avoid the cheapest brands at least until you have had a little more experience. Probably a higher rated brand from a dependable supplier would be a good place to start.

I am obsessed.... JK.. Every pellet is different. A pellet is not a pellet is not a pellet...

It's my first year burning pellets so I want to get different brands and see what works best in my stove. Might lead to a one brand season for 2012-13, or could lead to having different pellets for each month depending on the temps (I hope it's only one or two).

I bought my stove to save some coin. Trying whats available sometimes leads to a nice pellet at a reasonable price.Don't be afraid to give some a test drive. You might just be surprised. Plus you never know when your favorite brand is unavailable/back ordered/out of stock or what have you. Some have seen that this fall. Barefoots and Turmans are scarce. You just have to be versatile and roll with whats happening.

I am stuck with all of that Stove Chow the guys here talked me into buying. If it is crap I won't know the difference.

BrotherBart said:
I am stuck with all of that Stove Chow the guys here talked me into buying. If it is crap I won't know the difference.

If I remember correctly? We talked you into a ton. Your the one that just went "hog wild" and stuffed them to the rafters. Like it or not, "you" caught the bug like the rest of us piggies! :cheese: Oink Oink!

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
How many tons did our good BrotherBart buy?

I think it was 4! Doesn't that make him one of the piggies??????????????????

Hey, I've got six tons in my barn, can I join too? It ain't official until you guys say I can.

PJPellet said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Hey, I've got six tons in my barn, can I join too? It ain't official until you guys say I can.

Hos did you get these pellets. You have them before the 1st frost, so that gets you a point.. Did you get them yourself? Or have delivered?

Jay, imacman, kinsman (Eric), Smokey... what'cha say? 6 tons is a lot..

I can't walk by a $3.96 bag of pellets and not buy a few bags, did this morning.

DexterDay said:
PJPellet said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Hos did you get these pellets. You have them before the 1st frost, so that gets you a point.. Did you get them yourself? Or have delivered?

4 tons delivered. The rest myself in my little 2000 Jeep Cherokee 1/2 ton at a time. :)

DexterDay said:
PJPellet said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Eric is MIA, imacman is happy collecting beer money er a I mean doing the due's collecting. Smokey and I can't catch em all! So!!!!

Dex, It's your call! Make sure he add's this to his sig and sends imacman his dues!

“Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club†OINK OINK!!
“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselves†eernest4-Grand Poobah-Pellet Pig Club

DexterDay said:
PJPellet said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Well I'd say yes but I ain't one of the Pellet Pig Club high mucky mucks.

All I can do is shame them into acting. It is when they are off doing other things that I step in and confer OINKS. That tends to wake them up and get their noses out of the pellet piles, until then they just keep rooting around. Did you get a good look at the nose on that Takeman chap?

SmokeyTheBear said:
DexterDay said:
PJPellet said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Well I'd say yes but I ain't one of the Pellet Pig Club high mucky mucks.

All I can do is shame them into acting. It is when they are off doing other things that I step in and confer OINKS. That tends to wake them up and get their noses out of the pellet piles, until then they just keep rooting around. Did you get a good look at the nose on that Takeman chap?

Bear, I thought we gave you welcome privileges once you became top pig. I sure would appreciate it if you can welcome some and help me out. Them other 2 fella's seem to have left me with the welcoming mat. Something about beer and a fridge in the back room???

'Hey' I'm slightly sensitive about the snoot! If I catch the wind just right I can smell a pellet deal 50 miles out! :cheese:

6 years of keeping detailed records regarding what brands, what price per ton and how much burned has led me to conclude with facts behind me, for my situation it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what pellet i buy and burn in my harman P61 manual ignition stove.

this stove is always well maintained and cleaned regularly.

in the 6 years i have kept record i burn within 5 bags either way 5.5 tons in each of the last 6 winters here in cnetral mass just south of keene.

some winters i have burned only one brand,,,,,,,,,,,new england wood out of jaffrey, nh, other winters softwood out canada and other winters a mix of this and that bought for price only.

it doesn't make a damn bit of difference in terms of keeping the house at a regular 72 degrees all winter long.......nov- end of april.

based upon these facts in my situation i buy on price.

I buy a few tons each year and always have a few tons at the end of each year. I do this in case of sticker shock the following fall.
I will buy different brands I see at various stores, 10 bags at a time to get a sample of what's out there. Actually, it's kind of a sickness, pelletitus I think, and there's no known cure!

Bank said:
I buy a few tons each year and always have a few tons at the end of each year. I do this in case of sticker shock the following fall.
I will buy different brands I see at various stores, 10 bags at a time to get a sample of what's out there. Actually, it's kind of a sickness, pelletitus I think, and there's no known cure!

Bank,

That's the first step "admitting you have it". You need to apply for pig status. The club offers minor relief, but you will be with fellow "sick pigs" that can help endure the pain! ;-) See link to apply!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81207/

Status
Not open for further replies.