Newbie Overfiring Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaackil

Nov 20, 2008
Central Ma
Can any one tell me exactly what over firing is? I mean at what temp? How do you know you are over firing? How easy is it to actually over fire?
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my stove not giving enough heat. BTW I got a lot of great advice thank you all that chimed in. It appears to me now that I have not been getting my stove hot enough. I have been afraid over "over firing" What I have been doing is leaving my blower on Auto. I bought a thermometer that I have mounted on the front just above the door and when it would get up around 700 I have been really choking the fire down. After reading more posts though I think maybe I am not getting hot enough. My installer told me that the Pipe thermometer that I have isnt going to read high enough. The max temp it shows is 800 and he said my insert can actually get much hotter with out over firing because that thermometer is desgined for a pipe. So how hot can I get my stove and how would I know I am over firing?

I have a PE D1

Thank You

Good question I think when the stove gets red in spots it's over firing. Hasn't happened to my QF 4300 yet and I've had that up to 800+. My target burn is 450-600 but we only burn splits and rounds. Pretty sure over firing most frequently happens if you burn pallets and dimension type lumber. Sure you can burn that but mix it up with splits.

I am not getting any heat at 450-600 I dont get heat until 800. Where is your thermometer locateted? My installer said and I dont know how true it is but if it were in the chimney pipe and you were getting 450-600 then the stove would be much hottter especailly if the blower is going which should cool anything going up the pipe. Is that true?

Our new PE pacific (mid sized) is always in the 700-750 range, on the front mounted magnetic burn indicator (which is meant for the stove pipe). We do get to 800-850 once in a while too. It "feels" a bit hot, but it does settle down. It does just take a little time to be comfortable with it. Ours will get to 800 with just a few small sticks, and air on high. Or, sometimes jsut don't cut the air soon enough on a reload, and up it goes. I have been guilty of leaving alot of coals under the new wood, ad I rake most to the front. I am sure this causes quicker / hotter burns in the new load!

Status
Not open for further replies.