Newbie Questions Stoves versus Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanjo

Jul 6, 2008
South Central WI
Hi all, I was researching wood pellet stoves & furnaces and ran across this great forum. I guess I'm hoping for some useful advise & information to help us make an informed decision.

We live in Wisconsin so our winters can be very cold. We have an old farmhouse, approx. 2,000 sq.ft. of living area in a pretty much closed floor plan. The house is well insulated. When we heat with our LP forced air furnace we keep the temp. set at around 68 when we're home and lower when we're out and at night. We have a 4 season sunroom with a high efficiency small gas stove fireplace that we use in the evenings. This stove heats the sunroom & adjacent living room. The rest of the house tends to get chilly when the fireplace is running. Our upstairs bedroom is cold (56-60 degrees) most of the time in the winter no matter what. When the temps drop into the negatives we use a backup small electric radiator heater to supplement our upstairs bedroom.

When we first started researching and looking into pellet stoves/furnaces we thought our only real option would be an add-on furnace that would tie into our current furnace's duct work & blower system. We aren't having a whole lot of luck finding many options in our area. We looked at a United States Stove Company model #6220 and thought this might be a good option but with further research we found that it doesn't have auto ignite and I also found some rather negative reviews on a consumer reports forum. I haven't been able to find much else out about this company. We did find a Harman dealer who has an add-on furnace which comes with a pretty hefty price tag. Our other thought was to maybe get 2 stoves. One larger one to put in our basement, maybe the Breckwell Big E and then possibly another stove to replace our sunroom gas stove fireplace. Do you think we stand a chance heating our basement & downstairs with the 2 stove system? We really do not want to use our LP furnace except for emergencies, if we have to go away for a few days, etc. Also, from comments on this forum, I am concerned about being able to get stoves installed before the heating season begins. Are the add-on furnaces more available or are they just as hard to come by?

We are thinking that we will compare the 2 stoves against one add-on furnace. We appreciate any comments, help we can get!

Thanks!

Have you looked at the St. Croix Revolution? I just bought one , going to tie into my existing ductwork for the oil fired FHA.

We haven't checked into the St. Croix. I'll need to find out if anyone in our area handles them. We live sort of in the sticks so we don't have a large base to pull resources from. We do have a Home Depot about 30 minutes away. I'll check there. Thanks!

I'm not sure if this helps at all but I've been talking with these people http://www.pellethead.com/ they seem to be very knowledgeable and have an early buy program and a decent size network of stores around the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.