Newbie saying hello. Bought a stove at Tractor Supply. Ignitor is not getting hot enough.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flathead

Oct 2, 2011
East KY
Hello from a newbie in KY. I just want to say hello, and I've already gotten a head start on understanding my new pellet stove by reading and searching this forum. I also went through the "newbie" stickies at the top of the page. Very helpful. I just bought the USSC 5500M pellet stove at tractor supply. It's basically the only stove I have found in my area. Awareness of pellet stoves seems to be lacking in my area as compared to other areas right now.

My question is pretty simple. My ignitor is simply not getting hot enough to light the pellets. At first, I thought my pellets were poor quality. So I got my dad to bring me a completely sealed bag from another brand. Same thing. So I don't think that's the problem. I can let the stove run through a complete lighting cycle and can literally put my finger on the burn pot and it is indeed hot, but not super hot like one would imagine. If I consult the manual, it only gives a scenario for the ignitor working or not, no "in between". Has anyone else experienced this problem with this particular stove? I'm guessing I either have too much amperage loss in my shop for the ignitor to work properly, or the ignitor seems to me to be too far behind the pot. Is there an adjustment for the ignitor position?

The only way I can get my stove to function properly is to start the automatic lighting cycle, disable the auger by keeping the hopper door open, and lighting the burn pot out on my shop door. Once I get it burning, I can put it in place using a pair of pliers, and the stove will burn like a champ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Call the customer service number in your manual. (800) 750-2723

Also, make sure you followed the "Troubleshooting" section in your manual.

You might try squirting some fire start gel on the pellets closest to the ignitor to help w/ combustion (hand sanitizer will work in a pinch), or light the pellets with a propane torch first, and then close the door and hit start.....you shouldn't have to remove the burnpot to start the stove.

Hey many thanks for the reply. Trust me, I read the troubleshooting section thoroughly. I'm pretty sure I figured it out my problem today. I installed the heater in my shop. I have a 100 amp service panel up there. I hadn't had time to put an outlet in over where the heater is. So I was trying to use a typical round 16 gauge extension cord from a plug right beside my electrical service panel, and it was quite obvious the ignitor was just not getting hot enough. I could literally pull the burn pot out after each failed attempt at a start cycle and touch pretty much any part of it. It would be hot, but just not hot enough in my opinion. I switched to a bigger 12-3 gauge industrial extension cord, and the problem was solved. The ignitor was finally able to pull the amperage it needed and got hot enough to start my stove consistently. I know that sounds kind of crazy, but honestly it seems that was indeed the problem. So hopefully somebody else will benefit if they end up in the same situation. That stove will be getting a dedicated outlet ASAP.

Glad you got it figured out....the cold weather is not far off.

Enjoy the heat!

OH, BTW......we need to see pics of the install or "it never really happened". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.