Newbie - strongly considering PE Alderlea T5 - looking for owner input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenoser

Nov 4, 2008
Nova Scotia
1st post! I am very close to buying a T5 after reading as much as I could on the forum - praise seems to be coming from a lot of corners. My house is an open 1400 sf bungalow, and I am looking to have the stove in the kitchen, which opens to both entrances, the living room and the basement, as well as to a hall leading to the bedrooms.
Just wondering if the cast iron shell is effective at providing a gentler hear than that of a steel stove, and if the price in Canadian dollers ($2416) is a decent value or if I am better off getting a less expensive Super 27 or downsizing to a T4?
We plan to burn fairly constantly, so a longer burn time is a consideration.
Looking for input...

The Super 27 will be cheaper. If you like the look of cast iron stoves, I would go with the T-5. Both stoves share the same firebox, and long burn times.
The shallow firebox of the T-4's and Vistas means shorter burn times, as well as having to load the firebox side-to-side (east/west) instead of straight-in.

The Spectrum is also the same capacity as the Super 27, just a bit fancier.

I wouldn't go smaller than the T5 or Super 27 in your climate. Both are good stoves. Our next door neighbor burns a Spectrum and I have a local friend burning the T5 for the first year. Both are very satisfied with their stoves.

The cast iron shell definitely acts as a big heat sink and buffer on the Alderlea. It's slower to warm up, but great for a soft, slow heat release. You can sit right along side the stove and not be cooked.

I have the T5 and can't say enough about how much I like it. I think you'd be disappointed with the size of the T4 firebox... it's shockingly tiny, if you haven't seen it in person yet.

What I really notice about this stove is how long it holds the heat after a burn... it seems like it is always warm to the touch, even if it has been several hours since we've seen coals. And I love the cooking trivet, with the super-hot cooking surface underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.