Newbie w/ Schrader Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLittle500

Jul 12, 2009
Carlisle, PA
Hey guys and gals,

I'm new here and after searching around for my answers I finally decided to put up a post. My fiance' and I have purchased a house that uses oil heat for its primary source of heat, but has a small wood stove in the basement. We are both used to using wood for our main source of heat and would like to replace the small wood stove with a larger one. Neither one of us know about wood stoves, we just know the one in our current house works great and the one at her parents cabin works great. So in our searching, we found a "New" schrader wood stove. From what I have read on here though, Schrader has been out of business for quite some time (plus I havnt been able to find a website), and they dont seem to have to many good reviews from people that do have them.

I have yet to go look at this unit, but it is apparently a nice sized stove, double front doors, and like I said, "new".

Asking price is $450, how does that sound?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Brandon

Sounds like an old inefficient pre EPA stove. Look into a large EPA model if you are looking to use it as a primary heat source, it will do so much better. Now is a great time to buy a new stove since the Fed Gov is running the 30% tax credit.

Is your basement insulated? It will be a challenge to heat the whole house from a basement stove if the concrete is sucking up all the heat.

The old Schraders were great stoves and so was the 1973 Chevrolet Caprice. Both bigger than they needed to be to get the job done and not very safe or efficient.

Make your minimum requirement that the stove is an EPA certified clean burning stove. They have been around since 1988 so they aren't something new. More heat, less wood consumed and a cleaner chimney not so prone to have a chimney fire and mess up your lawn with big red firetrucks.

BrotherBart said:
The old Schraders were great stoves and so was the 1973 Chevrolet Caprice...

The '73 Caprice was a stove? Who knew? I thought it was the Pintos that burst into flame. %-P Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
The old Schraders were great stoves and so was the 1973 Chevrolet Caprice...

The '73 Caprice was a stove? Who knew? I thought it was the Pintos that burst into flame. %-P Rick

How did I ever get three A's and a B in English in college? :red: But actually I thought of the '73 Caprice because I totaled one and it DID burn to the ground. I just wasn't thinking of it that way in the post. :lol: Yep, the Caprice was a EPA approved, for tailpipe emissions, burn clean to the ground car.

I have Pinto experience. When we got married my wife had a new 1973 Pinto Runabout. The famous bomb car. I had a brand new 1973 Oldsmobile loaded to the teeth. Within months of course I was driving a Pinto and her an Oldsmobile. Gal ran a red light and I T-boned her with the Pinto. In the back of the cop car she was crying saying how sorry she was. I told her I was just delighted that she hadn't rear ended me or we would both have been dead.

Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.