Newbie with a new revere installed and a pile of stupid questions ;) Most importantly how hot and w

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobMoyer

Nov 19, 2010
des moines iowa
Hello :) ,

I just installed a Lopi Revere, and I have to say I love the stove so far as I learn how to properly start and
maintain a fire. I have developed a few questions I was hoping I could get answered.
I have one of those cheapo Rutland bimetal magnetic thermometers and I placed it directly on the cooktop
of my Revere.

1. ) Is this the right place to put the thermometer?
2.) What temperatures should I be looking for?

Last night I was burning and after deciding I was closeing the door and throttling down too fast I let te fire build up
longer and get hotter. Once I thought it was roaring good and I believed I had good draft I closed the bypass and
in about 5 minutes later I closed th door. I left the air input wide open and was pleased that the temperature did
indeed rise allot faster than it had the previous night. At about 400 the thermal switch allowed the blower to start
(keep in mind where the thermometer is located).

The night before the temperature seemed to creep up, but last night after it hit 400 or so the temperature simply
flew up. In less than 5 minutes the temperature was at 550 degrees, and I (not knowing where this thing should
run at or where I needed to worry) immediately throttled it down thinking I didnt wantit running higher than 650.
I knew there would be a curve to deal with before the temperature started to decline, but wasn't ready for the
panic attack as the temperatre took off to 750 degrees. I turned the blower on high to help cool the stove
and was thoroughly freaking out as it went over 750 untill I Opened the bypass and opnened the door, taking my
tool and breaking up the nice high pile of burning wood into a flat pile of coals on the bottom. The temperature
began to lower after I closed the door and bypass.

After this things seemed to level out, but this taught me a valluable lesson. I need to learn some valuable lessons :)

I wasn't burning great wood, and I have a good load of seasoned 18% or less guaranteed hardwoods showing up today.
When I get better wood I worry about more extreme temperatures. There was a piece or two of some really light stuff
in the firebox along with a piece or two of some sort of hardwood. Yes I know I should know what I am burning.

The night before I burned I know was a year older and drier, but the temperature ran lower but I think I had a good secondary burn
even though the theremometer read closer to 450. I would prefer more heat output though. I have a pic of the flames from the
previous night.

3.) Is this a case of reading a higher temperature because the thermometer was in the wrong place?
4.) Did I allmost overfire my stove?
5.) What temperature is an overfire for this stove? and where is that temperature read from?
6.) When I get a good bed of coals in the bottom, won't loading it clear full of wood and closing down the air intake cause it to just smolder
all night long and create a perfect atmosphere for creosote buildup?

7.) Has anyone else found creating an ash rake to be the handiest damned thing ever? Mines ugly as sin but it's light and works great.
I thought about spraying it with stove paint and laying it up top to cure:)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Rob.

Attachments

• revere.jpg
    revere.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 232
  • revere-theremometer.jpg
    revere-theremometer.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 220
  • revere2.jpg
    revere2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 201
  • rake.jpg
    rake.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 225
  • mmmmmfire.jpg
    mmmmmfire.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 206
Welcome to the forum Voodooschild.

Your thermometer is probably placed close to the ideal. I'd just slide it a bit more towards center and as far back as you can. Temperatures for your stove should be anywhere from 500-650 tops. 400 and more gives you a good flue temperature to help keep creosote at bay a bit.

On the reloads or from cold stove, I have always said to leave the draft full open until the fire gets established well and the wood gets charred. Leaving it open any longer just wastes heat going up the chimney.

Breaking up the wood will not help to cool the stove; if anything it will do the opposite. To experiment, try that in an outdoor fire sometimes to see the difference. And when you get better wood you will have better fires. We burn well seasoned wood here and do not worry about overfiring just because our wood is so dry. I like 5-7 year in the stack wood. One does have to be careful though if all the wood has been split small. Larger splits will hold the fire longer and smaller splits will give a hotter fire.

That picture of the fire is pretty.

You asked:
"3.) Is this a case of reading a higher temperature because the thermometer was in the wrong place?
4.) Did I allmost overfire my stove?
5.) What temperature is an overfire for this stove? and where is that temperature read from?
6.) When I get a good bed of coals in the bottom, won’t loading it clear full of wood and closing down the air intake cause it to just smolder
all night long and create a perfect atmosphere for creosote buildup?

7.) Has anyone else found creating an ash rake to be the handiest damned thing ever? Mines ugly as sin but it’s light and works great.
I thought about spraying it with stove paint and laying it up top to cure:)"

3. Probably not.
4. Probably but I would not be overly concerned just yet. If worried, give the stove a thorough check for any cracks or warpage.
5. Check your stove manual.
6. Yes. However, loading it up, leaving the draft full open until the wood is charred, then start dialing down the draft (in stages starting with half open and going down from there) will give you the best fire.
7. We have never used an ash rake nor found any reason to need one. However, for a front loading stove I can see they could be handy.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Well,
I got decent wood tonight, and learned how much harder it is to start lol. I thought I would have to throttle it down farther but it seems to require a little more air.
I also need to learn how and where to place the wood. Pieces in the back dont seem to burn, but maybe there is something I can do about that.
I had a hell of a time gettting a good burn going tonight. I think I need to educate myself about airflow inside the box. If wood is touching the left
side it seemed as though it wouldnt burn well on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.