newbie with first post

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinner

Oct 23, 2011
S.W. Wisconsin
They say that I need to post to remain registered. So here is number one.

I had never heard of wood a gasifier until I started looking for ideas on building an OWB. Now that I have I am looking for the most efficient design. As I am sure lots of others here are doing as well.

tinner
aka
bob
southern wisconsin

Welcome, Bob!

Some reading here will save you some T&E during development.

Oh, btw, we have anformal way of knowing if you are serious abot contributing here. You need to post a pic of your wife/GF.

Again, Welcome Aboard!!

Thanks!
I have been reading here for a while.
I have lots more to digest though.
I best not share my wife's picture here just yet. So I guess my G/F will have to do.

<seg>

tinner said:
Thanks!
I best not share my wife's picture here just yet. So I guess my G/F will have to do.

<seg>

:lol: Good one!

You will find after much reading that you could probably throw a +- 5% eff blanket over all the proven trusted gassers you will see members using here. Therefore it is far more important to focus on the eff of the dwellings to be heated first, then the eff of your heat distribution system. After you have that set you can pick a boiler that suits your situation.

Thanks!

The house is fairly new at 12 years old. We have been heating with corn for the last seven or so. This year with the price of corn and an untimely knee surgery we are using wood pellets. I have a smaller wood lot to manage so I am really glad to learn of the more efficient units.

off topic: I have been up your way a time or two. White Court, Edmonton, Jasper and west. Purty country!

And while you are researching, cut, split, and stack (c/s/s) wood now. Dry wood is best (and uses less) in any word burning unit: fireplace, stove, OWB, gasser. 2 years is best. Check the Wood Shed for how to advice.

tinner said:
Thanks!

The house is fairly new at 12 years old. We have been heating with corn for the last seven or so. This year with the price of corn and an untimely knee surgery we are using wood pellets. I have a smaller wood lot to manage so I am really glad to learn of the more efficient units.

off topic: I have been up your way a time or two. White Court, Edmonton, Jasper and west. Purty country!

Your welcome!

Very few bargains on cord wood boilers this time of year unfortunately, however it will be hard to beat the fuel price on wood. Plenty of members will cut blow down on roadside or someone elses land when they don't have the acres needed on their own property.

If a cord wood bolier is part of your plan I suggest you start cutting, splitting & stacking. No such thing as too much dry wood.

Yes we like it up here too. Pretty sure our winters are a hard sell, however the mountains, open spaces & all that room to do your own thing thats easy to like. Glad you enjoyed the country when you were here.

tinner said:
Thanks!

<seg>

That was funny!

Good luck with your R&D. I did a lot of research(about a year) and then jumped in with both feet and bought a gassier. I'm gnawing at my knuckles to get it up and running.

Thanks,
You are just starting out then too. But a whole lot further than me. I am looking at having it up and running next heating season. So I currently have some time. But you know how that goes.

lol

I truly hope the O.P. got a smile out of it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.