Newbie with ?'s re: stove size, firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I purchased our home in June and it came with a Coal Chubby. The instruction manual for the Chubby (got it off the Coal Chubby website) states that wood AND coal can be burned. We've been using wood with sub-par results and recently started looking for a new stove. We shopped around, did our research (primarily through this site), and are close to certain that we will be purchasing an Avalon in the next month.

Our home is a single level ranch, approximately 1800 square feet, with forced hot air heat and central air conditioning. At one end of the house are the bedrooms. At the other end is the garage. Next to the garage is the family room, which is where the stove will go. We have a masonry chimney that extends up the wall of the room and a brick "hearth" that extends almost 4 feet out from the wall/chimney. There is no fireplace -- this would be a free-standing, not an insert.

We've been looking at the Avalon Rainier with blower and pedestal. I'm wondering, however, whether that will be large enough to heat the house. I can turn on the house fan (without heat) and circulate the hot air from that room throughout the rest of the house. There are 3 cool air returns in the ceiling of the family room. I tried the fan a few nights ago with the Coal Chubby and raised the temp of the far bedrooms by 5 degrees over 2 hours.

Should we opt for the Avalon Olympic or stick with the Rainier? I don't want to go TOO big and make the room too hot. Any other suggestions about heating the whole house? It would be easier if the stove and chimney were central, but...

Also, I am working on hoarding as much wood as I can. I have 1.5 cords of seasoned, stacked firewood -- a mix of red oak, white oak, and maple. Getting another cord delivered this weekend (same mix) and another delivery likely in 2 weeks. Is 3 cords enough to heat my house for the winter, using the stove as the primary heat source?

I appreciate all replies.

hey luke....i did similar as far as finding out how much wood to have on during this season. The consensus is 3-5 cords. Hope this helps. This is my first season with a woodstove too. I have an Avalon propane stove. Pseudo woodstove(retired) too much for propane.

Welcome to the forum Luke.

I doubt that 3 cords will heat you through the winter, but it might. I'm not sure how cold that area of CT is.

My only caution is when you say the wood is seasoned. How long has it been seasoned and how was it seasoned? You list red oak, white oak and maple (probably hard maple). Each of these type woods takes different lengths of time to season properly. For example, that red oak takes 2 years to season properly. Also, if you are taking the word of someone who sells firewood, most will just automatically say it is seasoned. Most of it is not!

So with the above caution, please be sure to check that chimney often. If you get creosote, clean it often.

Thanks Savage -- seller advises that wood has been seasoned for at least 1 year (from the summer of 2006). I've done the "knock" test (bouncing 2 pieces against each other) and they "sound" seasoned -- a nice crack instead of a dull thud.

We're going to have oil as well, to supplement the heat from the stove. Thinking about getting another cord delivered (in addition to the one this weekend), which will bring us to close to 5 cords.

Any suggestions as to where to get free wood? I've been scouting the sides of roads. We live across the street from some woods. I'm not planning on heading in and cutting down trees, but any problem with taking wood that has already fallen? Woods are water company property...

i would poke around Craigslist. its always a hit or miss situation. over the summer there was a guy looking to get rid of 3 chords of wood. he was a new owner to this house and didn't want it/need it. always situations where people are bartering services related to tree work or yard clean up involving picking up dead trees/logs and sorts. just my $.02

Me personally, I've never taken wood off the side of the road. but i think thats why the owner put them out there. I think. I guess it wouldn't hurt to knock on some doors.

lots of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.