Newbie wood usage question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeniechet

Dec 6, 2010
Detroit suburb
Greetings!

We just had a Napoleon insert installed and so far are very pleased with the results. The installer said you will only need to burn 6 logs per day if you figure out how to use the air regulator. What? We have the regulator set on low and still burn 20+ logs per day. We are using seasoned hardwood.
Any input?
Love your forums. I have learned quite a bit by reading them!
Thanks

Welcome Leenie - methinks your installer was talking rubbish - yes, turning down the air is important, and if all you're doing is taking the chill off the house in the morning or trying to maintain temps overnight then a full load could work. If it's 25 out, you'll be reloading several times if you're heating anything more than one room.

I suppose if i was heating my closet then 6 logs would do. Ill be in the 20-24 log schedule with the coming cold. With an insert, you have to keep the stove hotter than normal stoves to keep the heat output up. Nature of the beast. It takes more heated air than radiant heat to heat the house

Welcome. You will find lots of help+ opinions here.

I think we did a post last year and the general consensus was about a "wheel barrel" full per day. It didnt matter too much insert or stove but it was a good rule of thumb. personally I'm in that ballpark.

I suppose 6 logs could be a wheel barrel.

I reload around 3 times during days like today were it 25 out. now the old stove took a log every hour.

The fact that the installer thought he could tell you "how many logs" at all is funny.

Just like any heat source, the amount of fuel depends on your conditions - how cold it is, how big the house, how well insulated, what indoor temp you like, how large those logs are and on and on.

then again, If your stove could hold a log 3ft long and a ft in diameter than who knows maybe 6 would do it :)

Six logs split into four splits each would be 24 splits. Sounds about right. %-P

6?

6?

Is he crazy?

No way. 6?

Usually the sales person will tell you a good one - not the installer.

I go thru about 20-25 per 24 hour period. Welcome.

BrotherBart said:
Six logs split into four splits each would be 24 splits. Sounds about right. %-P

LOL I was thinking similar.... Depending on the size of the log maybe more than 4 splits per log, It is funny that he told you how many logs you would use.

Why not? I recall one day I went through only 1 log! Of course that log was 8' long before I cut it into firewood lengths and split it all....

My stove is a medium sized stove and I load it three times a day, morning before work, after work and before bed. I load full for morning/night and half load when I get home, I'd say 20-24 depending on split size sounds about right for the weather we're getting currently.(20's during the day, teens at night)

before work i load bout 6 splits or less then after dinner another 6. prob 12 or 13 splits a day here this time of year. less in the shoulder season of course im not using regular size splits in the shoulder season.

Thanks to all! Funny and educational! I have just been initiated into the world of fire and hearth! This brings up another question. I will start a new thread.
Aileen

Whoah!

A wheelbarrow load of wood lasts me 3-4 days. Run the stove 24/7 and it's been averaging ~10* outside. I load it 2x a day, 5-6 splits each load.

I normally use a small yard cart (2ft wide, 2ft tall and 4ft long). That is roughly 1/8 of a cord and that is good for about a week.

maxed_out said:
Welcome. You will find lots of help+ opinions here.

I think we did a post last year and the general consensus was about a "wheel barrel" full per day. It didnt matter too much insert or stove but it was a good rule of thumb. personally I'm in that ballpark.

I suppose 6 logs could be a wheel barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.