newibe to the forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtmzulauf

hello...I was surfing for tips and pointers to make my pellet stove life a little better when i came upon your really cool site. I decided after lurking about that i would register, lots of helpfull info and opinions here. I curently own two pellet stoves, a quad classic bay installed in my basement and just added a quad mt. vernon to my upstairs fireplace. The cost of oil has driven me to other options and i have found that six tons of lignetics will totaly heat my home. I do have one issue, my house is a rancher1800 sq feet and i cant seem to get warm air to the back bedrooms. I did do the turn the fans around to blow to the stove and that helped but cant break 64 to 66 degree. should i get lower to the floor box fans instead of using a regular pedastal fan blowing down? I would think that the Mt. Vernon stove would more than handle the demand, the house is insulated well and do have old windows but my wife is freezing and wants 68. Thought maybe the fans iM using should be lower to floor level but not sure if it would help at all. hope to learn alot here and hopefully make some friends. Thanks for a great site.....Kurt

ii'm pushing warm air to the back bedroom in our 925sq. foot ranch.it's a narrow air path and there are four arch walls interfering with the heat getting back there.
the vornado fans allow me to keep the warm air focused up high so the cold air is allowed to return towards the stove room.

i have one of the vornados hung in the doorway of the living room.
it's not exactly stylish. but it sure as heck does the job.
it will just come down after spring gets here.

i'm able to maintain 68 degrees in the back bedroom w/ the stove on medium on cold nights.
when it gets well below zero though, i alternate between medium and high.
the fans also allow me to warm the back bedroom up faster from the low 60's if it cools down.
i usually run them on low. but being able to turn them up is really nice for reheating.

Are you letting the stoves cycle on and off? Or running on a lower setting 24/7?

If you are cycling with a stat, the air may be getting warm and satisfying the stat. Without warming enough to do any good further back in the house.

Cant help much with the Vernon, but the CB I found heats best in long low cycles. Hopefully someone comes along to help with your Mt. Vernon (settings).

You have enough firepower to heat that place. Just gotta find the right configuration.

Welcome to the Forums.... Got any pics of your stoves?

I am running my Mt. Vernon on man. but running on program. seems at night i have to have the thermostat set to 75 in order to hold 64 in the back bed rooms. I did try the auto setting but after reading some posts i was afraid i may wear out my igniter so i went to man. The stove pumps out good heat i just cant move it where I need it. problem is the stove is on one end of the house and bed rooms on the other. The house is open from the stove to the hallway where the bedrooms are and after i turned the fans around i got 4 more degrees just not sure if the fans should be at floor leve instead of three feet off. Maybe I would get better convection. I was trying to push the hot air back but that was worse, thanks to this site i did get 4 degrees more heat back there.
thanks....Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.