Next Gen. Fiskars on the way... Winter/Spring 2011

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRages

Oct 20, 2009
Mid Missouri
I contacted Fiskars regarding their axe handle length and asked if there were any plans in the works to produce a longer handled product. This is the response. Very cool!!! Can't wait to try out one of these next year!

"Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on our axes. Your interest and feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am very happy to report that Fiskars will be launching a 36” axe in the first quarter of 2011, as part of an entire refresh of our axe line. Making the World’s best axe, even better! Please look for the new longer handle version at Ace Hardware, Amazon.com, and HomeDepot.com as we know those two outlets will carry the product early on. You can also request the item at your applicable favorite places to shop as well, if that is more convenient."

That's good news! I've been impressed with the Fiskars so far. It even struggled through about a cord of the dreaded Elm this summer (I helped some). Unless the price goes way up I'll likely pony-up for an 8" longer handle & enjoy greater piece of mind.

I had been holding out since I first read about them on this site JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE SO SHORT, then I go and buy one half a year before they introduce the long handled one? Load of crap, that's what that is. Now that I've used it, though, I don't think a longer handle will make me like it any more.

Danno77 said:
I had been holding out since I first read about them on this site JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE SO SHORT, then I go and buy one half a year before they introduce the long handled one? Load of crap, that's what that is. Now that I've used it, though, I don't think a longer handle will make me like it any more.

Danno, you are not a big fan of the original Fiskars?

It is going to be nearly the same amount of work with a fiskars axe as with just about any other hand splitting tool. It is easy to admit that. However, what I find most attractive about the product is the quality components along with the lifetime warranty. A fun tool to use, low fatigue, good cardio workout. Hoping for more of the same with the next axe.
:)

CJRages said:
Danno77 said:

Danno, you are not a big fan of the original Fiskars?
I actually DO like the Fiskars, but i want to make it clear that I only LIKE it. There are so many here that rave about it, but I'm not really sure why. If the warranty is what you seek, then I'd just get a craftsman maul. The thing just doesn't have the weight it needs to be a primary splitting tool. I find myself taking more swings with it than with a maul, so maybe it's just my wood that is different from everyone. I do love that it is very sharp, that was pretty helpful with the Elm I was splitting. I think that if the thing weighed about 1.5lbs more and had that longer handle then we'd definitely have something that would make me toss the maul into the shed for good.

The heavier the head, the sooner fatigue sets in, the slower the head gets swung, the more risk for injury.

I wonder if Fiskars is looking for a wood heat afficiando to test pilot their new and improved super splitter?

I would gladly charge them only a minimal fee to test drive the new model as soon as they send me one.

freeburn said:
The heavier the head, the sooner fatigue sets in, the slower the head gets swung, the more risk for injury.
Agreed, BUT there is a limit to how fast I can swing even the lightest of splitters, so if I can't swing this lightweight thing fast enough to compensate for it's light weight, then I'll be taking more swings and fatigue will set in soon.

edit: I realized that I typed that like it was some hypothetical thing. I'd like to clarify that what i typed above is exactly what I was experiencing when using the Fiskars. I really did give the thing a go. I split about a cord with it and then was going back and forth between the 6lb, 8lb, and fiskars to get a feel for it.

Honestly, I've not considered a Fiskars. I have a couple of old Pulaski's, and if they don't work- then off to the splitter they go (wood that is).

Beetle-Kill said:
Honestly, I've not considered a Fiskars. I have a couple of old Pulaski's, and if they don't work- then off to the splitter they go (wood that is).

When you say pulaski . . . you mean this . . . I'm a bit surprised . . . I mean the pulaski is one of my favorite wildland firefighting tools since you can do a lot with one . . . but in terms of splitting wood this isn't exactly the best tool for the job.

Attachments

• snow_nealley_pulaski_ax_lg.jpg
    snow_nealley_pulaski_ax_lg.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 428
That's the one, Jake. My all-time favorite outdoor tool, period. And yeah, the head has enough mass to it that it will split my Pine. Gnarly ones, I do have a maul for those. And then there's the splitter.

Great. Now I will have three Fiskars axes and only use one. (The Long one.)

I may consider this. A longer handle will give you more speed. I've tried it with an axe and a maul, and unless its straight-grained easy stuff you WILL get the head stuck. Then you have to get it out. I feel better about punching the maul through than an axe head.

From another site ( THE competitor ), an official message from Fiskars:

" Due to customer inquiries, the 36" handled Fiskars Super Splitter will be in stores in 2011.
Because of demand it will only be available to customers with a crotch length
greater than 40". Those with a length of less than 40" will have to wait until our
plants have enough stock for the demand.
Thank you for your patience. "

FYI: the measure is exactly the same as for chaps--to your instep.

The longer handle is good news but suspect it will be straight. I wonder how much longer I'll have to wait for them to come out with a curved handle version?

As for the long guarantee, it is not needed. I've used tools that my grandfather used for many year. There was no guarantee but those tools lasted a long time so long as you took good care of them.

I'll stick with the hydraulics.

Status
Not open for further replies.