NFPA And Reduced Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
I just had my stove installed, here is the thread...Finally…New BK Install…With Pics. Do to the location of the trusses, it had to be placed 6.5" away from the wall...minimum clearance is 6" with the fan kit installed, which I have. We would like to put stone on the wall behind the stove at some point in the future. The installer told me that the NFPA allows a 30% reduction in clearance if the surface is stone. This would bring the minimum clearance down to about 4.25".

My question is:
Was the installer correct with this information?
If he is correct, does the thickness of the stone have any impact on this? If so, I am limited to stone that is no thicker than 2.25"

fdegree said:
I just had my stove installed, here is the thread...Finally…New BK Install…With Pics. Do to the location of the trusses, it had to be placed 6.5" away from the wall...minimum clearance is 6" with the fan kit installed, which I have. We would like to put stone on the wall behind the stove at some point in the future. The installer told me that the NFPA allows a 30% reduction in clearance if the surface is stone. This would bring the minimum clearance down to about 4.25".

My question is:
If he is correct, does the thickness of the stone have any impact on this? If so, I am limited to stone that is no thicker than 2.25"

the table of clearances listed in the NFPA211 while it allows a reduction of clearance in wall protectors it also lists a minimum clearance which your stove already can be inside of (im at home now and i dont have a copy with me , i'll elaborate when i am at work and able to look it up. i may be wrong but i think since your stove is already inside of the minimum you would not be able to move it closer. bear in mind also the tabel in the 211 is for "unlisted" stoves which require upwards of 30 inches to an unprotected surface

fdegree said:

My question is:

The NFPA rules are for non listed stoves. BK tests their stoves and gives you those clearances. If they do not say you can reduce clearances then you can't. Put a set of 45 degree elbows at the top of the smoke pipe and have the proper clearances.
Edit Mike must type faster then me.

If you're adding non-combustible material to the wall, is it an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.