Nice Black Locust score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Some of you might remember that I thought I had scored the mother load of Oak a few months ago from a local day camp. That fell through when the foundation that runs the camp wanted my home owner's insurance company involved, a waiver, etc. A couple weeks ago my contact at the camp emailed to tell me that there was other wood at the camp that had been cut a few years ago and I could come take it if I wanted, without all the insurance crap. I met with him to have a look and found a nice pile of Black Locust. Most of it had been cut up by a tree company, but there was still about 12' of trunk on the uprooted stump.
I had some time off from work last week so I took the F250 over to pick it up. I left the old flatbed home this time because I was afraid to drive on the soft, hilly grass with out 4 wheel drive.
Here's the pile.
0601111008.jpg

I used the truck to drag this one out before I cut it to length
0601111033.jpg

It was probably just over 1/2 cord of nice, fast seasoning Black Locust.

I had to cut most of the rounds down by a few inches for my Fireview. I tried to set things up so that I could trim and split right off the truck and not have to lift too many times.
0601111205.jpg

With this scrounge, I am pretty much done until I start burning in the fall. Even my shoulder wood will be Black Locust this winter!

What do you do with the small pieces you cut off the rounds? Do you just throw them in the stove as is? I have over 100 rounds that are 2-6 inches too long so I have some cutting to do, just wondering what everyone else does with the pieces.

nice sore, Well burning wood should be easy, BL for the stove. Last year it was Ash for me, It's been raining wood these days for me it seems.

I save the cutoffs for outside burning when I don't mind reloading and messing with the fire. I rarely burn them inside for heat because they kinda screw up the loads in the smaller Fireview and they don't stack on the rack very well either.
This is my cutoff and small stuff pile for outside burning.
DSC06579.jpg

Hey fb, Glad to see you finally got a nice score. Keep em coming.

Very nice score on some high BTU firewood you lucky dog!

Ray

weatherguy said:
What do you do with the small pieces you cut off the rounds? Do you just throw them in the stove as is? I have over 100 rounds that are 2-6 inches too long so I have some cutting to do, just wondering what everyone else does with the pieces.

My stove takes about an 18 inch piece east/west, and around 10 inches front to back (north/south). If I have pieces a little too long I cut them in half and load them north/south. If I find pieces more like 22 or 24 inches, I cut into 9 inches and 11 or 13 inches. I try to avoid really short pieces (4 or 5 inches) because they are a pain to stack.

Nice score, FBF!
I've never burned any BL, but I scored some in the neighborhood to try out this year. I'll use some Pine to get this hard-to-light wood going.

Woody Stover said:
Nice score, FBF!
I've never burned any BL, but I scored some in the neighborhood to try out this year. I'll use some Pine to get this hard-to-light wood going.

You're better off adding locust to a good bed of coals from an oak fire or similar..

Ray

I will be adding Locust to a bed of Locust from November to March. I am not concerned about startup. I am having no problems lighting the scraps in my outside stove right now and that's before it gets 6 months to dry out.

Nice score. Is the 4 "X" horse one piece or 2?

Steve that is bad the other deal fell through but at least you still got some very good wood out of the deal.

Jay,
Here's another picture of the horse.
0526101316.jpg

I set it up so that the inner Xs are length guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.