Nice little score... not sure what type of tree it was

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyFerret

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2007
Delaware, Ohio
I was pulling out of the TSC parking lot last Sunday when I noticed a tree had been taken down at the house across the road. My 6 month old son was with me so I ran home to drop him off before going back to knock on the door.

I'm glad I did, the lady that lived there was thrilled that I was willing to haul the wood away for free!!

About two hours later, I had finished hauling it home.

7001659787_2e0233a173_c.jpg

I spent some time making a mess today, and got some of the really big ones cut in half so that I can handle them and so that the splits won't be too long to go into my stove.

7001659809_e0b9236cdf_c.jpg

7001659823_0d4d28b36a_c.jpg

Can any of you guys identify this type of wood?

7001659799_b1e3356c52_c.jpg

7001659795_235b85a0f6_c.jpg

7001659801_7839fac010_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-SF

Reactions: ScotO
Maple, Sugar?

Looks like Silver Maple too me.

Reactions: smokinj
Silver here too...

I actually like Silver. It Seasoned very well from last April/May till this past Winter. Very good burnin wood. I can get a good 8 hrs out of Large Silver Maple splits (6 splits @ 5"x7" ) Love it... Hope to get my hands on a lot more.

Nice work getting right to it! Looks like silver maple to me as well - enjoy! Cheers!

Agree on the silver as well. Nice job on the find & work. Great shoulder season wood. Well done! A C

Thats a silver maple alright......great shoulder or daytime wood, get 'er split up ASAP slyferret, and it should be ready for next spring's shoulder season, maybe even the fall season if we get some good heat this summer...

Nice score, I also like maple it seasons in short time and burns hot

I'd have went back for that too. If you can, make some kindling from that wood and you won't be sorry. It splits pretty easy and makes excellent kindling because it dries fast then lights easy and burns hot. If you split it now it should be ready to burn next fall.

Reactions: ScotO
Another vote for silver maple. I love the stuff, between the last few seasons I've burned 3-4 cords of it. I have to find more!

Awesome, thanks guys! From the bark, I suspected some sort of maple, but wasn't sure. It has a great grain to it, so I expect it will split nicely.

Work has kept me really busy this week, but I should get some time with the splitter tomorrow to start processing that stuff to get it in the stacks right quick.

-SF

We always welcome silver maple here. Your pictures look like a good catch of it. Kindling and fatter splits of silver work great mixed in with b.locust and oak when we waited too long to reload. It lights off of a thin weak bed of coals and burns hot enough to light the heavy dense stuff.

our house is easy to heat, and the stove is a little oversized. it sounds like this silver maple will be perfect for my burning needs. -SF

Status
Not open for further replies.