Nice Locust Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluttermagnet

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2008
Mid Atlantic
The chance came up for me to get some Locust from roadside power line clearing operations. I managed to bring home about 1.4 cords in two loads. A big local contractor has been doing a lot of cutting for the local power utility this past year. They happened to set up one morning right next to my house. I had a chat with some of the crew, and it ended up that they put me onto this batch of Locust (it was about a mile up the road from me). Knocked my socks off, how friendly and helpful these guys and gals were. They were even able to tell me the situation with the homeowner, that he didn't want the wood and it was up for grabs, that he was off at work at the time, and that it was OK to park in his driveway. It was a good day, though I was a little achy from the exertion. I was dog tired that night. Two days later, I finally have it all stacked in my back yard processing area. It's green, but I figure it will be ready by next Fall, or maybe Christmas at the latest- that's if I get it all split right away. Better still, I met a neighbor at the scrounge site, who was loading a small pickup like an S-10 with a camper top, and he was also friendly and helped me a lot with loading up my van. In all, a great and memorable day!

DSCF0759a.jpg

DSCF0763a.jpg

DSCF0777a.jpg

Thats a little under a cord in the van and on the ground-
that pile was about 20ft long and 4ft wide. It's most but
not all of what was in the van. Used a wood ramp to load.
A couple of rounds were so heavy that I just toppled them
out of the back and let them hit some 2x4's on the ground.
Will have to split them to move them. It was tough with
two people to roll them. I'm not going to try to roll them
a hundred+ feet on my own!

Every gift has its price, I suppose. I've got some poison
ivy on both hands- not real bad, but just bad enough to
be annoying.

Youser, Youser Youser!!
Great score,
Some serious BTUs there :)
Just a bunch of working guys, they seem to all be pretty good guys :)

The right place at the right time....great score

oooh, me likey likey LIKEY! The best scrounges of all are ones that locust is aquired. Go play the Powerball tomorrow. Great score!

I Just had 2 great looking cords of locust dropped off yesterday-only thing better would've been getting it for free - that's a seriously great score. Georgeous wood. We're in the same boat trying to get it split & ready for next year. Happy splitting! !

That is a primo score, locust and close to home. Splits easy and we notice that locust outlasts oak in the stove by quite a bit. Real nice find! The van worked hard too.

Thanks, guys. You know, that van was actually squatting a little, probably the lowest I've ever seen it. Maybe 2 inches lower, so that the wheel well was about even with the tops of the rear tires. OTOH it's a retired plumbers van, and I think the guy had the heavy duty suspension package put on it. It's a 1 ton and it's definitely up to the job. Not a bad wood getter.

I love Locust! Have been burning a bunch of it this season, along with Red Oak and Cherry. It is usually straight- grained and splits pretty easy. Since this is green, I especially like that it has a faster seasoning time.

Cluttermagnet said:
Thanks, guys. You know, that van was actually squatting a little, probably the lowest I've ever seen it. Maybe 2 inches lower, so that the wheel well was about even with the tops of the rear tires. OTOH it's a retired plumbers van, and I think the guy had the heavy duty suspension package put on it. It's a 1 ton and it's definitely up to the job. Not a bad wood getter.

I love Locust! Have been burning a bunch of it this season, along with Red Oak and Cherry. It is usually straight- grained and splits pretty easy. Since this is green, I especially like that it has a faster seasoning time.

I thought maybe you were scrounging on the job. Gettin paid to scrounge, not a bad gig if you can get it. :p

WoodpileOCD said:
Cluttermagnet said:

I thought maybe you were scrounging on the job. Gettin paid to scrounge, not a bad gig if you can get it. :p

Heh! I figure anyone who has a good paid gig with good benefits would be plumb crazy, pushing their luck like that! Nah, I'm semi- retired/ 'self- unemployed'. :lol:

Cluttermagnet said:
You know, that van was actually squatting a little, probably the lowest I've ever seen it. Maybe 2 inches lower, so that the wheel well was about even with the tops of the rear tires. OTOH it's a retired plumbers van, and I think the guy had the heavy duty suspension package put on it. It's a 1 ton and it's definitely up to the job. Not a bad wood getter.
I was gonna say, if you had almost a cord of wet BL in there, that must be a beefy van!
Nice get. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.