NIce Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ151

Jan 17, 2009
Poulsbo, WA
So I had a friend who cleared a couple acres of old second growth to build a new house. They let people cut on it for fire wood, but of course none had a large saw to handle the big stuff. After everyone had cut what they wanted I got a call to take what I wanted. I said I'll take it all. They though I was kidding, I never kid about free wood. Especially when it is log length, stacked and I can park the 16' trailer next to the pile. The biggest stuff was 40" most was 24"+. I made 5 trips with the trailer and snagged about 5 cords when all was said and done. All the wood was left in rounds so i could roll it up a loading ramp. There were 3 large maples (30") in the bunch, including one with a really nice burl. The saw you see is a 460 with a 28" bar running a full skip chain. The pile goes all the way back to the drift boat.

Attachments

• IMG-20110903-00008.jpg
    IMG-20110903-00008.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG-20110903-00010.jpg
    IMG-20110903-00010.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 330
That is like hitting the jackpot! Congratulations.

MJ151 said:
So I had a friend who cleared a couple acres of old second growth to build a new house. They let people cut on it for fire wood, but of course none had a large saw to handle the big stuff. After everyone had cut what they wanted I got a call to take what I wanted. I said I'll take it all. They though I was kidding, I never kid about free wood. Especially when it is log length, stacked and I can park the 16' trailer next to the pile. The biggest stuff was 40" most was 24"+. I made 5 trips with the trailer and snagged about 5 cords when all was said and done. All the wood was left in rounds so i could roll it up a loading ramp. There were 3 large maples (30") in the bunch, including one with a really nice burl. The saw you see is a 460 with a 28" bar running a full skip chain. The pile goes all the way back to the drift boat.

It's baseball season, that's a HOMERUN!

zap

That is a brilliant score, easily a couple of years supply of wood for me here.

Look forward to pictures of it split and stacked :)

It should be getting S/S in the next week or so. This is next years wood. I have more wood than I know what to do with. Unfortunately most of it is still standing. I need to get busy and start falling it. I was given 10 acres to selectively thin, (all red alder) just need to get busy. That is not easy free wood, I have to hump it out of the forest by hand or cart. There is probably 3 log truck loads of alder. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining just wish it was all as easy as this last score.

SCHWEEEEEET !!!!!!

Nice!!!! Lot to be said for having a saw that will take apart the stuff the poolan wild thingy's can't quite handle. I always smile when I've got a reason to mount up the 36" bar. Lotta cordage in a few rounds that way. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.