No chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SIG

Mar 22, 2020
Nashville
Just bought new house with basement and no fireplace. Wanting to put wood stove in basement. I was just going to run pipe out of basement and up side of house. Two questions:
1. Does the pipe need to be as high as the peak of roof.
2. Will the back to back 90s damper air draw to the point fire will not draw.
Thanks for input.

First, you will have to determine which stove you want & then the manual will tell you the MINIMUM chimney height.
I wouldn't put back to back 90s, but I would put one inside & a tee with a clean out on the outside.
For each 90 you will lose 3 feet of chimney height, so whatever the minimum height is, you will need to add 6 feet due to those turns.
Chimneys MUST adhere to the 3-2-10 Rule. From the point that your chimney passes the eave,
you will have to have at least 3 feet, & then the top must be 2 feet higher than any part of the roof within 10 feet.
The easiest way to calculate this requirement, is to find the pitch of your roof, rise over run. (ie 5/12, 8/12, 24/12)
Find the pitch, multiply the Rise x 10 & then add 24 to that
If your roof has a 5/12 pitch, multiply the 5 times 10 = 50.
Then add 24" to the number. 50 + 24 = 74".
So on a 5/12 pitch, you will have to pass the eave by 74 "...

Just bought new house with basement and no fireplace. Wanting to put wood stove in basement. I was just going to run pipe out of basement and up side of house. Two questions:
1. Does the pipe need to be as high as the peak of roof.
2. Will the back to back 90s damper air draw to the point fire will not draw.
Thanks for input.
Is the basement finished? What is your intention with the stove? Heat a family room or whole house?