No More Veteran Discounts at HD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippydo

Sep 30, 2008
Butler, Pa
Went to check out at HD today, showed my Vets card, and I was informed that they did not
honor the VA for a discount and longer. They have changed their policy, and it would only be on holidays.
The cashier felt bad, but could do nothing about it.
This is in Butler, Pa....
There goes the future discount on my pellet buys.
I am sure that Lowes have changed their policy also.
Follow the leader.

How was their pellet supply? Do you think that had an impact on the change?

The same thing has happened to me also. It seams it depends on who is working, I got my discount 3 weeks ago, but in the past they told me the same thing. Thinking of saying next time " well then I will go to lowes were they appricated that I served" It stinks we put our life on the line and HD cannt give us 10% off.

Must be owned now by Foriegner's, and I'm being NICE~~~

Red Devil said:
Went to check out at HD today, showed my Vets card, and I was informed that they did not
honor the VA for a discount and longer. They have changed their policy, and it would only be on holidays.
Follow the leader.

Reddevil, I'd print out the webpage that Xena's link above goes to, that CLEARLY states that the 10% discount is still in effect at ALL U.S. stores for PAST & PRESENT Vets., and demand the discount.

I think local stores will try to "get one over" on anyone they can, just like they did when they "forgot" there's no sales tax on pellets, a few years ago..

I think Lowe's still has their program in place.Dad's a Korean War vet,talked to him 2 days ago & he said the one around here still has the 10% discount on all purchases.

I am retired military. Lowes and Hd gave me a 10% discount on my purchases last week. But they do ask for the military ID card. Our HD tried limiting it to holidays for a period last year, but then they reintroduced it and as far as I know, still offer it to those who can show identification.

Red Devil said:
Follow the leader.

how do I get a "Vets card"? I served 10+ years and all I have is a DD214 ( discharge paperwork)

Elderthewelder said:
Red Devil said:
Follow the leader.

how do I get a "Vets card"? I served 10+ years and all I have is a DD214 ( discharge paperwork)

You can go on-line or call a VA clinic or hospital and they will tell you where you can go to get your picture taken and the card printed out. I don't have one yet because I still use my military ID card from 1965!!!!! They don't seem to care as long as it looks official. I have to travel 1 1/2 hours to get the Vets Card, so as long as this works..... I ran into the HD in Reading, Pa that refuses to give the discount but down here in GA and SC, HD and Lowes honors it. Like the guys said, if they refuse show them the print out, ask for the manager, and/or tell them you will go to the other store from now on.

Elderthewelder said:
Red Devil said:
Follow the leader.

Military ID cards are limited to those who are active or retired and their dependents. There may be some other official status, but I am not aware. For all others, your DD 214 is the proper military ID for eligible veteran benefits. Many thanks to you for your 10 yrs of service.
Military discounts at retail outlets are voluntary. I don't know why some Lowes and HDs do and others don't. My brother got the same buzz in Florida. During that short period our Hd stopped, I just gave all my business to Lowes.

BTW, since this thread is about service people and Vets, I personally would like to thank any & all of you for your service to our country.

imacman said:
BTW, since this thread is about service people and Vets, I personally would like to thank any & all of you for your service to our country.

I was proud to serve even though the hippies and spineless protested or hid out in Canada. They were the best years of my life.

I wouldn't say that they were my best years, but am proud to have served. I survived in good shape, and appreciate deeply the gratitude expressed to all veterans.

To ALL of you who are Veterans on here...........THANK YOU for your service!!

Those who are Vietnam Veterans...........Welcome Home!! You sure didn't get a Welcome Home when you came back from there.
I will never understand that.

I didn't even know H-D gave a 10% discount to vets.I'm going to chk on this.I spend hundreds there every year.

Please remember I do give a Veteran's and a Hearth.com discount. I also have pellets that are 100% indoor stored.

Eric

I know Lowes still does (at least around here) as I was in there yesterday and the guy in front of me used his discount by showing his card. You know that really pisses me off that some HD managers would be trying to pull a fast one on the backs of our national hero's. I don't shop at HD for a variety of past transgressions on their part and I'll be damned if I darken their doorstep ever again.

kinsman stoves said:
Please remember I do give a Veteran's and a Hearth.com discount. I also have pellets that are 100% indoor stored.

Eric

Hi Eric, on your site, how do I find parts? Will be needing combustion blower gaskets (4) and a spare igniter soon.

If your in CNY stop buy, I'll give ya a vets discount. If you dont buy anything I'll at least buy you a cup of coffee. Vets are always welcome and thanked, as they should be.

urkiddin said:
I didn't even know H-D gave a 10% discount to vets.I'm going to chk on this.I spend hundreds there every year.

I use it for even the smallest of purchases. I try to post here about the discounts whenever I see someone talk about HD or Lowes.

The next time I'm up North, I'm carrying a copy of that HD page showing their policy and confronting the store manager face to face. If he still refuses, I'll be sure to have the Corporate telephone number with me so he can explain to Corporate why he doesn't follow company policy. No sense being nice to people out to screw you. Wow, could I get political on that but I won't. :coolgrin:

Oh, also if you are buying anything sizable, ask for the 10% Contractor Discount at their contractor desk. You'll get it but not combined with the Vet discount. One or the other. Heck, they are always advertising something with 10% off so I figure they must have a 10% slush fund built into the prices.

tjnamtiw said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Hi Eric, on your site, how do I find parts? Will be needing combustion blower gaskets (4) and a spare igniter soon.

Call the number in the signature and I will see what I can do.

Thanks
Eric

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy I know who runs a Best Western type Hotel.

He said you have to basically up the price so you can give everybody a discount. They are much more likely to want to know the discount than the price.

I did not quite believe him, a month or so later we were at a marketing event, basically somebody was organising a big event, and all they asked about was discounts, never asked about the actual cost.

I guess it like the Supermarkets always telling me how much I have saved. Saved nothing, I gave them money, they gave me goods.

So up your prices by 11%, give everybody 10% off.

I'm retired Army. My local Home Depot once gave me a crazy story about no longer offering the military discount on pellets "because they are a commodity item and the price goes up and down." "But just this one time we will allow it for you." I've been back to that store since then and never had the problem again.

Here's how they explained their policy to me when I inquired at their Web site after this happened early last month. Strangely worded and clearly a copy and paste job from some announcement that had been around for a while. They dodged the actual issue I had complained about, but their statement was so broad that it certainly seemed to say that there were no circumstances under which they wouldn't honor the discount.

In reference to your e-mail, effective March 1st, 2010 we will offer,
when asked, a 10% discount, up to a $500 maximum, to all active,
reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a
valid military ID. All other military veterans will qualify for a 10%
discount during normal holiday events (e.g., Memorial Day, Veterans Day
and Independence Day).

Never a problem at Lowe's.

Status
Not open for further replies.