NoFossil Control System does variable speed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
Can't wait for cold weather - just got done doing a test run with a variable speed control card in my controller. In the test rig that I have, a Taco 007 delivers 10 gpm. With the variable speed controller, I can get anything from 1 gpm to 10 gpm, all under automatic control. Parts cost for the variable speed drive is well under $100.

Gotta test it with the Grundfos, but I think it will work fine. Probably will control the EKO fan, too - it will handle 220vac.

The card that I'm using is an industrial wholesale device with minimum order quantities, but I'm buying a batch if anyone is interested.

I expect to have it as a packaged option for the NoFossil Control System, too.

Hmm......Sounds very interesting......... I was going to purchase a 3 speed grundfos to go through my boiler with the relay setup.... Maybe use a VS on my existing 007..... (I like Taco's better anyway! :) )

This sounds awesome Nofossil. Do you think I could speed and slow my combustion fan based on my flue temp. I would also like to monitor my return water to the wood boiler with a variable pump. You might have just solved some of my problems.

Not sure how I feel about your comment "can't wait for it to get cold" - but the rest of your post is awesome. When do you figure you'll start selling your control "package"? Or are you already?

stee6043 said:
Not sure how I feel about your comment "can't wait for it to get cold" - but the rest of your post is awesome. When do you figure you'll start selling your control "package"? Or are you already?

I'm building the first batch now. I haven't been advertising, and I'm not pushing them just yet. I'm pretty limited in build capacity, and I don't want to get buried with orders that I can't fill in a timely manner.

There's more info on my site, and I have a forum linked into my site for people interested in the controller.

Interesting - how many VSDs can the add in card control?
After the first, which you said was around $100, what is the incremental cost for each additional controlled motor? (Or IOW, how much for the card, and how much for the motor-side parts?)
Would this be something that could be used with a solar setup to get a constant temperature out of the panels?

Gooserider

I've already got my order in!! :D I've even got a serial number assigned to me! :) I can't wait!!!!!!!

Oh, and Bill, I CAN wait for it to get cold.........

Gooserider said:
Interesting - how many VSDs can the add in card control?
After the first, which you said was around $100, what is the incremental cost for each additional controlled motor? (Or IOW, how much for the card, and how much for the motor-side parts?)
Would this be something that could be used with a solar setup to get a constant temperature out of the panels?

Gooserider

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but to a first approximation adding support for variable speed to the controller itself is about $90, and provides support for 4 channels.

Each circulator needs a variable speed drive card in an enclosure near the circulator. The card, cable, and enclosure looks like a sell price around $75 or so.

I have a forum for NFCS discussion. There's a thread on the variable speed here.

It should work just fine for solar circulators as well. I've already started the coding for closed-loop temperature control using the variable speed output. Still lots of testing to do, though.

Thanks to all on this forum who have helped and encouraged this project - it's getting pretty exciting.

For anyone who wasn't involved earlier, my practice has been to make all of the design and code available to anyone who is interested to build their own. I'm also building a batch for those who don't have the time, tools, or inclination to take on a DIY project of that type.

Thanks for the info, it sounds pretty reasonable... You may see me over on your forum.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Thanks for the info, it sounds pretty reasonable... You may see me over on your forum.

Gooserider

I have a foolproof way to make sure the costs are reasonable - if you think I'm charging too much, you can always build it yourself ;-)

I basically try to recover my actual costs (including paying someone to do the physical build) plus a small margin to help cover R&D;expenses and the inevitable problems.

My forum is intended to be very tightly focused on NFCS and related topics, especially specific technical details - no expectation of competing with hearth.com.

We have data!

Taco 007 in test rig, direct connection to 100Vac, 0' static head: 10.6gpm @ .65 amps
Power settings are uncalibrated.

0' static head
99% power setting: 10gpm @ .54 amps
90% power setting: 10gpm @ .53 amps
80% power setting: 9gpm @ .51 amps
70% power setting: 7.2gpm @ .48 amps
60% power setting: 5.1gpm @ .42 amps
50% power setting: 3.2gpm @ .32 amps

5' static head
99% power setting: 6.92gpm
90% power setting: 6.21gpm
80% power setting: 5.45gpm