Non-Cat VC Intrepid questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmack

Dec 8, 2006
Bought a small chalet that came with an older non-cat VC Interpid. since I neer had a woodstove before, I downloaded the manual from the VC website. There are some differences between the levers on the stove and the way they are described in the manual. For instance, the handle on the left hand side goes from vertical (end of handle pointing down to the floor) or horizontal with the handle pointing out to the front of the stove. I typically leave it in the horizontal position. The lever in the back moves from front to bank, not sideways as described in the manual. It seems like I always need to leave the doors open a crack to keep a good fire going. When ever I close the doors tight, the flame goes down quickly. For any one that has this same version of stove, what is the best way to control it?

I did get the chimney raised, so it is up to code, and I expected the improved draft to enable a nice flame even with the doors closed. I am burining good dry hardwood. I had a stove guy clean the stove and chimney, and he remarked that it seems to be in good condition. Are there any tricks or tips I need to know that are not listed in teh manual?
Thanks all!
Tmack

Make sure that the thermostat air control is working and is open when starting the stove. IIRC, the left bypass damper handle point forward (horiz) is open, when pointing down it is closed. You start a fire with the thermostat (on back) set to full open and the bypass open. Then, after the stove has warmed up and a good bed of coals established, feed the stove, let the wood get burning robustly (in about 10-15 minutes, and then close the bypass to extend the burn. Set the thermostatic air control to a comfortable temp.

Thanks for your response. That is basically how I undertand it to work. I have a feeling the problem migh tbe with the thermostatic air control lever. Maybe it's not connected properly. From what I understand. the lever is connected to a chain that controls some vents, which control the amount of air getting in from the back. Moving the lever back and forth doesn't seem do anything at all. I'll be up there over the weekend and I'll play with it (supposed to be cold overnight!). thanks again

Yes, take a look behind the stove. If the chain connecting the top control to the bottom air flap is broken, the air supply is being cut off. If the thermostatic coil is broken, but the chain link is working, then you should be able to manually control the air supply.

Let's say the Intrepid is running properly and nothing is malfunctioning. That said, the Intrepid likes really small splits, especially when you are first getting the fire going.

Before you start it, cut up your splits into much smaller splits, smaller the better. See what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.