Non Chinese or 3rd world made Tools...mauls, axes, wedges, ect

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbar2311

Mar 16, 2010
SE Michigan
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread with links and reccomendations of non Chinese or 3rd world made tools of the trade.

I found http://www.counciltool.com/index.asp and plan on purchasing a maul, wedges, and cutting axe.

Labonville makes some of their equipment in gorham NH

Very happy with my Snow & Nealley maul, made in Maine I believe.

Also very happy with my Logrite cant hook.

Clarkbar2311 said:
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread with links and reccomendations of American made tools of the trade.

Why? You do understand that being as this forum is now on the internet, it is a "international" discussion.

’bert said:
Clarkbar2311 said:
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread with links and reccomendations of American made tools of the trade.

Why? You do understand that being as this forum is now on the internet, it is a "international" discussion.

Edited to reflect the ethnically diverse multinational woodburning peeps.

For the record I do prefer American or Non 3rd world made tools. Especially after I bought a HF Chinese logsplitter...never again.

Fiskars are made in Finland ... couldn't find that piece of info on the Fiskars website, but found it on Bailey's, which I take to be reliable.

Still gotta get me one of them.

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
Fiskars are made in Finland ... couldn't find that piece of info on the Fiskars website...

From the Fiskars website:

"Established in 1649, Fiskars is the oldest company in Finland. We have worked with tools, cutting and steel forging ever since we first started operating 360 years ago."

fossil said:
TreePapa said:
Fiskars are made in Finland ... couldn't find that piece of info on the Fiskars website...

"Established in 1649, Fiskars is the oldest company in Finland. We have worked with tools, cutting and steel forging ever since we first started operating 360 years ago."

That particular section doesn't necessarily mean they still make all of their products in Finland. The could "farm out" some or all of their products and still be a Finnish company.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I spoke with a rep during a webchat session. Only striking tools remain in Finland. All other Fiskars products are manufactured in China. I really like my SS and I'm glad its made outside of China.

TreePapa said:
fossil said:
TreePapa said:

That particular section doesn't necessarily mean they still make all of their products in Finland. The could "farm out" some or all of their products and still be a Finnish company.

Peace,
- Sequoia

That's a good point, Sequoia...found some more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiskars

Also, Helco, which someone posted last year were the best thing since sliced bread, are made in Germany, and Gerber are made in U.S. (though owned by Fiskars and maybe using the same Finnish made heads as Fiskars).

Lots of good tools made in U.S. and Europe ... not cheap, but lifetime tools by the looks of it. If I only had tons of $$, I'd order one of each and let ya'll know which are best.

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
Also, Helco, which someone posted last year were the best thing since sliced bread, are made in Germany, and Gerber are made in U.S. (though owned by Fiskars and maybe using the same Finnish made heads as Fiskars).

Lots of good tools made in U.S. and Europe ... not cheap, but lifetime tools by the looks of it. If I only had tons of $$, I'd order one of each and let ya'll know which are best.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Just have to say I like my Gerber multi-tool . . . like it better than the Leatherman in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.