Non-OB Pex on an Econoburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As the heating season approaches here in interior BC we are excited about using our new Econoburn EBW-200. After reading the FAQ about the carbon-steel water jacket though, we realized it was plumbed with Wirsbo Aquapex, which has no oxygen barrier... We are wondering how big a problem this will be - if we have to dig the pex up, we had better get started now! Will the thing rust out in one season? To me, the pex has a slightly redish hue already ...

Thanks for your advice!

You need to change it sometime, so the sooner the better in my opinion.

It wont rust out in one year, but with a investment like that you better change out the line to some OxyBarrier stuff. The only other thing you could do would be to isolate the Econoburn with a heat exchanger, thus keeping the oxygen laden water seperate from the boiler. If it not a long run of line, just bite the bullit and dig it up, get it done.

How much of the pex is exposed? I can't be certain but something tells me there isn't a ton of oxygen available to insulated underground piping. My house had a zone plumbed with non barrier pex. 200' above the garage. I had the choice of a heat exchanger or do some pretty major demo and I chose the demo. In the end with the cost of a bronze pump, heat exchanger and whatever I decided to rip it out and do the damage as it would give me an excuse to fix some other stuff. In the end I had about 250' of exposed non-barrier pex connected to a low-grade steel tube boiler for about 10 years and all the original pumps + valves were still working.

There's additives that will help. Oxygen scavengers.

btuser said:
How much of the pex is exposed?

Very little is exposed, maybe 2' or 3' in total - it is about at 25' run buried about 6' underground with 4" of Styrofoam around it. It is separate from the tank via a heat exchanger so we were told if we added a rust inhibitor that this should be adequate....?? Thoughts?

Many thanks

That's a ton of money+work to "do it right". Like I said my situation was different. You can get a test kit that will tell you if your getting in the danger zone. One thing to think about is glycol becomes acidic/corrosive due to breakdown from excessive heat as well as oxygen

Status
Not open for further replies.