noob question about coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt7546

Sep 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Hampton HI 300 insert. I was wondering how low do you let the coals go before you refill with wood. I have no place (that I can see) to mount a thermometer and just been using an infrared to judge the temps in the stove. On that note, where's the best place to "point" to to get the most accurate readings?

You can't point it anywhere at the coals and get a temperature reading unless the door is open. Glass is opaque to IR radiation.

I let them burn down as far as possible while a fresh load will still light right off on top of them. If the stove isn't putting out enough heat during this phase of the burn cycle, throw some non-coaling wood on top for the end of the burn. Pine and spruce work well for me.

Sgt, you do need coals in the stove. I like a 2-3" or more bed of coals. Sometimes a little more but rarely less (during winter).

Coaling can be your friend or foe. Plenty of folks have a big problem with coals because they end up with too many. Some even go to the trouble of scooping coals out of the stove!!! A terrible thing to do. As you burn more and more as the cold months progress you too might face this situation. As a rule of thumb, when the fire gets to the stage where you have all or almost all coals, that is the time to open the draft full. Don't worry about heat escaping up the chimney at this point; just burn down the coals. You will still get good heat from the stove. Just recall when you at one time had a bon fire going and roasted hot dogs and then marshmallows. Recall how much better the roasting went when you had a bed of coals vs trying to get the cooking done with just flame. Also recall how much heat you got from those coals.

But back to the stove. Leave that draft open full to burn down some of the coals but not all. Leave a minimum of about 2" and that will be a good foundation for your next load of wood.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.