North Cascades weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Time to head for the hills. I went up to my friend's yurt last weekend for a nice break. It was cloudy on Saturday, so we headed east to sunshine. That worked and the views were spectacular. Most of these shots were at 4000-7400 ft. The scale of these peaks are deceptive. The small ones start at about 8000ft. We finally reached the end at the highest auto road in WA state at Slate Peak. To the north is the Pasaytan Wilderness. No mechanized transport allowed in this wilderness clear to Canada. The air was crisp, clear and filled with the scent of pine and fir. And the larch trees were in their best autumn color. This region is often called the American Alps and I agree, it is a national gem. Quite the day!

Attachments

• IMG_0459_web.jpg
    IMG_0459_web.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0475_web.jpg
    IMG_0475_web.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0486_web.jpg
    IMG_0486_web.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0488_web.jpg
    IMG_0488_web.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0493_web.jpg
    IMG_0493_web.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0466_web.jpg
    IMG_0466_web.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 339
This is a close up shot of the 5th frame. That is Mt. Baker in the center at 10,781 ft. and a panorama shot looking west at the same view.

Attachments

• IMG_0467_web.jpg
    IMG_0467_web.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 323
  • Slate-Peak-Panorama.jpg
    Slate-Peak-Panorama.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 320
Beautiful I would love to go out there sometime!!!

Billy

Great pics . . . looks like a great place to hike.

Why come back, great pictures .

zap

Thanks. I have to admit, I asked the same question. This is a great hiking and fishing area. We crossed over the Pacific Crest Trail about 1000 ft below Slate Peak.

Beautiful pictures BeGreen. We've visited your beautiful state just one time and hope to get back there as we really enjoyed ourselves.

One more shot from this evening. I only had to walk a few blocks around the corner for this one. This is our big guy, Mt. Rainier, elevation 14411 ft.

Attachments

• IMG_0508_web.jpg
    IMG_0508_web.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 269
fricken beautiful out there, amazing how drastically different and beautiful this country is.

BEGreen- the 1st pic, upper left, what peak is this? looks like a volcano that part of the rim fell in.....spectacular pictures. I miss looking at big mountains. The Whites in NH just look so...unimpressive after you see pics like those.

ColdNH said:
fricken beautiful out there, amazing how drastically different and beautiful this country is.

Amen brother. I love New England landscapes too.

Delta-T said:
BEGreen- the 1st pic, upper left, what peak is this? looks like a volcano that part of the rim fell in.....spectacular pictures. I miss looking at big mountains. The Whites in NH just look so...unimpressive after you see pics like those.

That's Liberty Bell mountain and the Early Winters spires. It could be volcanic at its heart. From what I've read the craggy appearance is due to the carving out by glaciation and erosion. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=1918

Status
Not open for further replies.