"Northern" Pellets - The best so far.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trogers

Aug 25, 2008
Southern NH
This is my third year with the pellet stove, and each year I've tried a new brand. Year one: Spruce Pointe, year two: Okanagans, and this year I went with Northern pellets, made by Cubex, for $249 per ton. I thought that the Spruce Pointe's and the Okies were great, but these Northern take the cake so far. The heat seems incredible (although it's not very cold yet), but what really stands out is the lack of fines and dust...which is almost NONE. I can't believe the difference in dust from the Okies to these Northerns. Just loading the hopper once on my Accentra insert resulted in a film of sawdust thinly covering the top of my stove. The top of the stove is almost completely clean after the first two weeks of using the Northerns. The ash on these hardwood pellets is different than what I saw with the softwoods in that it's more course, sticks together rather than blows all over the place, but doesn't produce much compared with the other two brands. The SP's and the Okies are great pellets that throw a lot of heat, but the edge goes to the Northerns in my opinion based on the heat and lack of fines and dust.

In all, I am very glad that I went with this pellet. I think that the price was fair as well, but please let me know if you've seen them cheaper.

Happy burning!

Where'd you get them? And do you have a pic? They sound familiar, but I want to make sure what you're talking about is what I am thinking of.

NH Pellet Head,

Any difference with the residue left on the glass?

Cleaner longer, dirtier sooner, gray coating vs. brown or black?

Thanks,

Ranger

They are the same pellet as Cubex just different packaging made by Lauzon. I just bought a ton in Moores, NY for $240.

Never seen those around my neck o the woods but if u have
the chance try Barefoot. They are a very clean pellet too.

the old ranger said:
NH Pellet Head,

Any difference with the residue left on the glass?

Cleaner longer, dirtier sooner, gray coating vs. brown or black?

Thanks,

Ranger

Sorry for not getting back sooner. You bring up an interesting point. There is a little more grey residue on the glass throughout the week between cleanings, but I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that I'm burning at such a low temp. I'll report back once I set the temp up higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.