Not an Insert Glass front?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this were this question goes?
I'm thinking of upgrading the glass front with a newer model.
Any thoughts?
I have an older model with the vents top & bottom.
DownstairsFireplace002.jpg

Are the newer model any better?
Thanks
Sean

I would get an airtight set, that way you can get some useful heat from the fireplace, either that or get a flush mount insert. The air tight doors will run $12-1500, and insert over $4000 with liner.

Would be an upgrade?
Pleasant Hearth Grandior Bay Large Bifold-Style Glass Door Fire Screen - Antique Brass

49071826_400x400.jpg

I don't think it will make a significant heating difference if that is the goal. To make a big change the fireplace would need another insert. But if you just want to freshen up the look, then the Grandior looks nice.

I would get an airtight set, that way you can get some useful heat from the fireplace, either that or get a flush mount insert. The air tight doors will run $12-1500, and insert over $4000 with liner.

air tight is a baad idea with an old masonry fp, no less air equals very glazey soot and chimney fire risk

Status
Not open for further replies.