Not as good a deal as I thought, but still decent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I answered an ad in the local paper about easy to get to firewood. The man owning the land is a bit hard to understand as it appears he has a very sever hearing impairment and I would guess it's been with him since very young by the way he speaks. Phone conversation is a bit hard but in person much easier...so I drive out just to look. He's having some land logged but there are plenty of good size tops from what must have been gigantic red and white oaks. Much of the wood is 8"+ diameter. I have visions of selling primo firewood in 2 years at a nice profit since he has so much available.

A buddy and I hop into the truck this morning and are cutting away when Al(the owner) shows up just to see how it's going....at the end of the talk he asks what I feel a fair price would be.....price?? You never said anything about $$. So it boils down to for $25/load I can fill my F-250 full size bed with side rails to what ever amount I can safely transport. Not as good as "free" but I'm still getting excellent firewood which is reasonably easy to get at. I'm guessing 1 load today was probably 3/4 cord of mostly white oak.

I plan to go back as long as the white oak or any other high btu wood is available...even with gas it works out to about $35/cord and will be our first oak burning experience in after seasoning 2+ years. Pics to follow after a few more loads.

Now if I could find a good used splitter at a decent price, all will be well!

I stumbled into some tops a few years back and paid around 30 a cord. Best wood I've ever cut, red oak, white oak, cherry, hickory, beech and black walnut all in one place!

That is sad that you thought it was free but now have to pay. But it should be great firewood anyway.

Even with all the work it still sounds like a good deal, hopefully just a misunderstanding.

Zap

He 's a nice enough guy and the wood is easy to get to so I went back for a 2nd load today...actually I had to since I didn't have any $$ on me yesterday! Was flying solo today and that was a lot of work but it'll be worth it. Here's a couple pics...one when I was on one of my many "breaks" and one of the pile from the 2 trips. Lots splittin' to do now.

Attachments

• P1010694.jpg
    P1010694.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 298
  • P1010696.jpg
    P1010696.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 297
Yep, I'll keep his info on file "just in case" as it appears he has enough wood to take for a few years yet.

That's a heck of a good start Bob. All in all it sounds like you found a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.