not exactly stove related, but my H20 heater that vents up my chimney does not have a liner....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
i have flashing issues and water is getting into my house so i had a chimney/flashing guy give me a quote, and he noticed that my chimney top/cap(the concrete portion) was done incorrectly as it did not have a overhang and all the water would just run down the chimney/brick.
he also noticed that there was no liner on my water heater, which he said would cause tons of moisture buildup inside the chimney area as there was not enough of a draft for the gasses to exit.
if this were the case, wouldn't the gasses linger in the chimney area and seep into the house?
is this something that the original builder might be liable for? the house was built in 2000, but if it was built not to code would they still be on the hook?

cap or crown doesn't overhang ?

no clay liner ? in 2000 ?

billb3 said:
cap or crown doesn't overhang ?

no clay liner ? in 2000 ?

thats what the roofer/chimney guy stated. i will look for myself today.
i hate climbing up on the chimney though(my first time leaning the chimney myself will be this summer)
i have a fairly steep 2 sorry roof.

i have a prefab Zero clearance fireplace with a brick exterior.

What kind of set up is it, how many flues are there, not sure why any one would vent a water heater up a masonary chimney.

oldspark said:
What kind of set up is it, how many flues are there, not sure why any one would vent a water heater up a masonary chimney.

its not a masonry chimney, just has masonry facade/exterior.
it has one chimney cap for the wood stove, and one for the water heater.
i need to get up there and clean my stove's liner, so i will have more solid info then

Status
Not open for further replies.