Not good - big stacking mistake!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
I normally stack my splits on pallets, with at least 2' of space between rows and between each pallet in a row. I can easily walk through the stacks. Unfortunately, 6 cord of mainly oak that I stacked about 2.5 years ago were stacked on pallets, but with essentially no space between pallets - the stack is essentially a 7'X30' rectangle. I had considered restacking for a long time, but since I knew it would have 4 years to season, I didn't bother. Big mistake. A section fell over yesterday while I was collecting and burning downed wood from Irene. I was able to get toward the center of the stack, and man that oak was still heavy. Threw a couple rounds and splits into the fire pit to see how the burned, and water was pouring out of the ends for a LONG time - no where near seasoned. So.......I plan to fill my barn early with the five cord that is very well seasoned, and then restack the wet 6 cord of oak. I just hope that this oak is ready for winter of 2012/2013, but I have my doubts. Fortunately, I have an additional 9 cord or so of oak/maple/beech/ash that will be 3 years in the stack as of next winter - I'll pull from that if I need to. Geesh, I wish I would have listened to myself and restacked the tightly packed oak 2 years ago. It just couldn't get any wind or breathe well. Learned a good lesson. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
I normally stack my splits on pallets, with at least 2' of space between rows and between each pallet in a row. I can easily walk through the stacks. Unfortunately, 6 cord of mainly oak that I stacked about 2.5 years ago were stacked on pallets, but with essentially no space between pallets - the stack is essentially a 7'X30' rectangle. I had considered restacking for a long time, but since I knew it would have 4 years to season, I didn't bother. Big mistake. A section fell over yesterday while I was collecting and burning downed wood from Irene. I was able to get toward the center of the stack, and man that oak was still heavy. Threw a couple rounds and splits into the fire pit to see how the burned, and water was pouring out of the ends for a LONG time - no where near seasoned. So.......I plan to fill my barn early with the five cord that is very well seasoned, and then restack the wet 6 cord of oak. I just hope that this oak is ready for winter of 2012/2013, but I have my doubts. Fortunately, I have an additional 9 cord or so of oak/maple/beech/ash that will be 3 years in the stack as of next winter - I'll pull from that if I need to. Geesh, I wish I would have listened to myself and restacked the tightly packed oak 2 years ago. It just couldn't get any wind or breathe well. Learned a good lesson. Cheers!

I've got a big stack of oak that sounds like that. It is 3 rows deep with a little space (4"-8") in between each stack. Its about 7 cord and was stacked last November. Now you have me wondering how it is coming along. I don't need to burn it until '14/'15 though.

Does the stuff on the perimeter and the top of the stack seem pretty dry?

NH_Wood said:

This Oak I hear about, I want some. Our first year I stacked the wood on the southside of the house (not enough sun) resplit everything that year before bringing it in.

zap

zapny said:
NH_Wood said:

This Oak I hear about, I want some.

zap

I'll ship you some...but you have to pay the freight. I was thinking about that last night when I was out by the woodpile looking at the Hedge/Osage I have piled up and thinking all the guys/gals on hearth.com who want to try some. I'd gladly ship them 10 lbs of it, but I'm sure that violates all kinds of infestation rules and regulations (that I agree with).

Woody Stover said:
Does the stuff on the perimeter and the top of the stack seem pretty dry?

Woody - yes, only the interior is very wet and beginning to mold. I've already begun restacking - my plan is to remove every other pallet and restack - should give enough air flow around each pallet to speed up the drying process. Cheers!

lukem said:
NH_Wood said:

I've got a big stack of oak that sounds like that. It is 3 rows deep with a little space (4"-8") in between each stack. Its about 7 cord and was stacked last November. Now you have me wondering how it is coming along. I don't need to burn it until '14/'15 though.

Yes - that was my thought too - didn't need the oak for 4 years when I stacked it - but without airflow, not sure if it would ever be ready (at least for the more interior splits). My advice would be to restack with more airflow, even if you don't need it for a long time. Cheers!

I know the feeling. When we moved into our new house last summer [2010] we inherited a boatload of oak that was split and stacked. Unfortunately, the previous owner had stacked the wood three rows deep, hard up against the fence with each row butted right up tight to the previous one. And with a blue tarps covering the top.

Not only was wood not properly seasoned due to no air flow, but a lot of it was moldy.

Last winter we had a couple of decent cords that he left in the basement, but after that it was a bit of a struggle using even the stuff from the most exposed row.

I had to move all the remaining wood out back and restack out in the open this spring. The plan is to use it for 2012/2013. I'm hoping that'll give it enough time to get burnable.

NH_Wood said:
lukem said:
NH_Wood said:

Yes - that was my thought too - didn't need the oak for 4 years when I stacked it - but without airflow, not sure if it would ever be ready (at least for the more interior splits). My advice would be to restack with more airflow, even if you don't need it for a long time. Cheers!

I think I might try to use the outer rows first, then burn the inside row the next season. I'm not very excited about restacking 7 cord of wood. I originally had it 5 rows deep, but quickly realized that was a bad idea and redirected...only had < 1 cord to move so that wasn't bad.

Ah, the lessons of oak rear their ugly head once more. I've stacked many rows together many times but not if it is oak. Usually when I stack many rows together it is ash, soft maple, elm and cherry. Those pose no problems so long as you give them extra time, but if you are 5 years or more ahead of the game it can be a good thing to do this....except with oak.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ah, the lessons of oak rear their ugly head once more. I've stacked many rows together many times but not if it is oak. Usually when I stack many rows together it is ash, soft maple, elm and cherry. Those pose no problems so long as you give them extra time, but if you are 5 years or more ahead of the game it can be a good thing to do this....except with oak.

Yeah, but if I stacked it in single rows, it would be almost 300 feet long.

Then mark every 10 yards and you have a football field!

Backwoods Savage said:

Yes - Dennis, I agree. When I stack oak on pallets, cribbing the corners, and giving each pallet at least 2' space between other pallets, the oak does real well. I worked on the stacks today - I staggered pulling out the oak from pallets and restacking as I normally do. I think I'll do 2 more pallets and I think there will be enough air space to get the oak seasoning much better. Really hope it's ready for next winter. A lot of the oak is in great shape - already pretty well seasoned - just need to get the interior splits and rounds going. Worse case scenario is I'll have about 1/2 of the 6 cord ready for next winter and I'll pull the other 2 cord I need from a mix of ash, sugar maple, and beech that was put up about 2 years ago. Cheers!

n3pro said:
Guess I'll chalk that up as one advantage to only having softwoods. I have never had oak except in unfinished furniture scraps.

I think I'll stick with the oak and just be a little smarter about stacking it! ;-) . Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Yes - Dennis, I agree. When I stack oak on pallets, cribbing the corners, and giving each pallet at least 2' space between other pallets, the oak does real well. I worked on the stacks today - I staggered pulling out the oak from pallets and restacking as I normally do. I think I'll do 2 more pallets and I think there will be enough air space to get the oak seasoning much better. Really hope it's ready for next winter. A lot of the oak is in great shape - already pretty well seasoned - just need to get the interior splits and rounds going. Worse case scenario is I'll have about 1/2 of the 6 cord ready for next winter and I'll pull the other 2 cord I need from a mix of ash, sugar maple, and beech that was put up about 2 years ago. Cheers!

Have 1/2 left for next winter? Sounds like a good plan NH.

Sounds to me like you just have too much of that beautiful red stuff and need an intervention immediately....I can be there within 5 minutes :)

Good luck with the restacking and as always, just call if you need help.

I stacked 3 rows of red oak one time real close together. I do two rows on pallets now, I think the pallets are 40 inches wide, so two 18 inch rows fit on them good. I cover the tops of them as soon as they are stacked, with rubber roofing material. Takes 2 years this way to be burnable, but it's better burning at 3 years seasoned though.

Backwoods Savage said:
NH_Wood said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Have 1/2 left for next winter? Sounds like a good plan NH.

I'll have all of the wood left next year, likely use 1/2 next winter and the other half the year after. Remi - yep, good problem to have I guess! Thanks for you offer - I've restacked 3 pallets so far - it's going fast. Cheers!

Now you've got me worried. I finally got some oak this spring as I knew it would have 4.5 years to dry, but at 2 rows of 22" splits on a 4' pallet, I only have 4" of space between the rows.

Another quick oak story, I was given about 30 rounds of oak of various sizes that had been stacked under a pine tree for 10 years. I split a few of them the other day and they were still at 36%.

Well Wendell, some folks think that is okay to burn. Maybe you'll get lucky. Why not, you were lucky enough to get the wood already. Have fun!

It's already in the 2014/15 stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.