Novice question about “damper adapter”

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JB66

Dec 15, 2019
Cary, NC
Hi,
Preparing for my first liner installation and replacement of an old insert.
While I read plenty I see that the damper removal may be a big obstacle for myself.
I wanted to do it right:
-insulate the liner
-add block off plate.
Now, if I insulate the liner there is no way I can “oval” the liner to push it through the damper. Also, fabricating the block off plate is an extra work.

I can not stop wondering if there is such a thing like a “damper adapter” which would take care of both: passing the liner through damper and closing the damper.

Thanks.

There is not an all-in-one kit that I am aware of.

Removing or cutting the damper may seem intimidating at first, but if one has the right tools it often does not take that long. Making a block-off plate can also be a challenge if one has never worked with sheet metal. Starting with a cardboard template first is a big help. There are some prefab plates that may work. Here is a sample kit.

I cut out the damper in my stove in October. Took all of 10 min using a reciprocating saw and metal blade. The iron material was pretty brittle after years of fires and is 30 years old anyway. The back strap was maybe 2" wide and I did not wear out 1 blade.

Owing to my situation, I pulled the liner up from the bottom and had plenty of room after removing the clay tiles.

There are just to many different variations to be able to have a universal kit. Post some pics of your damper

Year and a half...don’t think anyone will mind if I hijack the thread!
So, how sketchy does this look? Previous home owner was a sheet metal worker so I’m guessing he made all of this himself, looks like he just made an adapter to fit in the damper hole (damper is gone) and glued the guts out of it. That’s 8” round coming into the bottom square for reference.

Attachments

• 1EF3BFCB-6630-4579-9169-C4AA7205B515.jpeg
    1EF3BFCB-6630-4579-9169-C4AA7205B515.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 100
  • C98DB00E-476D-4D3C-B6AD-82EBF1ADC75A.jpeg
    C98DB00E-476D-4D3C-B6AD-82EBF1ADC75A.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 105
Ugh, that does not look good on several fronts.

For the block off plate make a cardboard template and make your hole a little oversized, you can always wrap another piece of insulation around your liner just below the block off plate to help seal the gaps.