Now that stinks!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
I loaded up the stove friday night with my usual mix of ash and sugar maple, but I also threw in what I thought was a piece of black locust or something that looked like it. Just a normal split of it nothing huge. I popped outside for a second and wow...what a stink! Almost smelled like burning rubber! None of my neighbors stacks were going so I'm guessing it was mine. Went back in and threw in some simple pallet wood and in about 5-10minutes the stink was gone. Still wondering what that stink was!?

Piss elm?
Soft maple can stink.

Toupe,1 stove glove,wallet fell in,shoe missing. Jokin, i don't really know

NordicSplitter said:
I loaded up the stove friday night with my usual mix of ash and sugar maple, but I also threw in what I thought was a piece of black locust or something that looked like it. Just a normal split of it nothing huge. I popped outside for a second and wow...what a stink! Almost smelled like burning rubber! None of my neighbors stacks were going so I'm guessing it was mine. Went back in and threw in some simple pallet wood and in about 5-10minutes the stink was gone. Still wondering what that stink was!?

You didn't accidentally throw the neighbors car in there did you? :lol:

Pete

HotCoals said:
Piss elm?
Soft maple can stink.

I've burned many cord of soft maple and never had it stink yet.

Occasionally you may get a piece of wood or two that will smell. It happened to us probably 2 years ago but it had happened before too all through our burning years. BB said it was probably coon pee. He very well could be right.

I had 1 this yr smelled like an old pizz pot. May have been some of the punky wood.

If'n my dog don't stop peein' on my wood pile....I'm gonna have the same problem

Willow is NOTORIOUS for smelling like piss when it burns. Heck even when we cut a willow, we stink from it. Do you think a piece or two of willow made it into your stacks?

Willow is usually pretty light when it's dry...I've also heard Box Elder stinks, but I think that's usually lighter too.

Good chance it was black locust. I've had a few loads of BL stink a little at start up. I tried burning a load of my BL cut in the spring just for an experiment since the moisture meter said they were 20-23% on fresh split faces. I won't burn BL like that again. Smoked even at 500*+ with the secondaries lit for the first half hour or so and stunk so bad I could not work out in the yard until it cleared up. Actually felt bad for my neighbors and my closest one is almost a 1/4 mile away. Even really dry and a high temp clean burn it has a unique smell but it is usually very faint. BL is kind of a strange firewood.

blwncrewchief said:
Good chance it was black locust. I've had a few loads of BL stink a little at start up. I tried burning a load of my BL cut in the spring just for an experiment since the moisture meter said they were 20-23% on fresh split faces. I won't burn BL like that again. Smoked even at 500*+ with the secondaries lit for the first half hour or so and stunk so bad I could not work out in the yard until it cleared up. Actually felt bad for my neighbors and my closest one is almost a 1/4 mile away. Even really dry and a high temp clean burn it has a unique smell but it is usually very faint. BL is kind of a strange firewood.
All the BL I've burned so far has been barkless. I've only tossed in a couple of small rounds here and there, and I didn't go outside to try and get a whiff of it. But the stuff I've been cutting lately...peee-yeww! The stench seems to come from between the bark and the wood, so maybe the barkless wood won't stink bad when burning. I'll have to do a little experimenting before I split this batch to see if I'm going to have to make sure all the bark is off. Luckily, a lot of it falls off easily but I have some fairly green stuff too...

Poplar can give off a putrid smell sometimes so I gave all I had to my neighbor. Sometimes I'll be outside and catch a wiff of it and wonder if it's coming from my stove. I guess I should have given it to someone further away.

I had a dead rotting squirrel in one of the stacks that left an awefull smell on the wood

Scotty Overkill said:
Willow is NOTORIOUS for smelling like piss when it burns. Heck even when we cut a willow, we stink from it. Do you think a piece or two of willow made it into your stacks?

Thanks for sharing. This makes me feel much better about driving past a bunch of willows with branches down on my way to and from work. I'm no longer motivated to find the land owner. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.