Numbers from Storage and Heat Exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Happy New Year to all
We are in a stretch of cold weather,first since getting some temp gauges installed on storage and my Heat ex changer.So i thought i would share them to see if anyone with smarts could make anything of them.I know it's a very small sampling but i was bored so i made sure i loaded the boiler at the same 2 hr intervals.My heat ex changer is between the water in my wood boiler/storage and the glycol that goes underground to the house.
The heat ex changer has 48.9 sg ft of surface is what the serial number plate says.Two 500 gal storage tanks Econoburn 200 boiler aprox 2600 sg ft log house.
So after the initial fire start i filled the boiler at 6PM -31.5C out side the water going to the house was 143F coming back at 132F The water going into the HX from boiler/storage was 148F and returning to the bottom of storage/boiler at 136F top of storage was 141F and 132F bottom was at 128F and 128F boiler running at 151F
Next fill was at 8PM -31.9C outside. The water going to the house was 154F and returning 147F water going into the HX from boiler/storage158F and returning to boiler /storage 148F top of storage at 162F and 159F and the bottom was at 150F and 148F boiler running at 160F
Shut off boiler at 10PM -31.3 outside. Water going to house was 176F returning at 165F water coming from boiler /storage181F and returning to boiler/storage168F Top of storage at 184F and 183F bottom at 175F and 173F boiler at 181F.
So i just got home from getting my waste oil furnace back online -40 here now and needed to wind down so i thought i would share some numbers.
Thomas