Nuts!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
There is a thread about nuts and it really made me notice this morning. Just yesterday the acorns started falling and falling fast. We have both red and white oaks here by the house.

It was a wet spring and wet up until 2 weeks ago. Suddenly we are bone dry. We need some rain!

exact same weather here savage..been watering the gardens by hand this weekend :roll:

no rain in the forecast either..

loon

Backwoods Savage said:
Suddenly we are bone dry. We need some rain!
Talked to my folks in WI yesterday...same deal there. We got 4" the other night. I wish I could send you some!

I just read your post and wallked out back and looked, the White Oak that dropped so many on the ground last year hasn't even started to make yet this year. But for this ares if memory serves me right they drop in October, but there are none on the tree now.

We had a wet spring also and I would say more rain this summer than usual.

Dry here as well for about a month. Had a big thunderstorm last week that dropped a quick inch, but thats been it in WNY.

I really miss the two American Chestnut trees at my old place. Those chestnuts were delicious picked right off the ground after they fell. They weren't very big trees for obvious reasons, but they were pretty prolific in the nut-bearing department. I even left some for the deer, although I never could figure how they got past the nuts' natural defenses. Those thorns are sharper than needles! :shut:

No acorns dropping from my big White Oak yet, infact I can barely see any growing on the branches. It's been dry here lately but this morning we had a short soaker of 1/2". My sprinklers have been going just about every evening the last 3 weeks.

Backwoods Savage said:
There is a thread about nuts and it really made me notice this morning. Just yesterday the acorns started falling and falling fast. We have both red and white oaks here by the house.

It was a wet spring and wet up until 2 weeks ago. Suddenly we are bone dry. We need some rain!

The brook is way down Sav, next two days we have a 30 percent chance of rain both days, bone dry in the woods but the swamp is still full.

gibir

VERY few walnuts here this year. Haven't noticed the oaks yet.

Just looked at the Butternut out in the backyard and it is loaded, by far the most I've ever seen on it! Hadn't even noticed them until now.

HollowHill said:
Just looked at the Butternut out in the backyard and it is loaded, by far the most I've ever seen on it! Hadn't even noticed them until now.

Is the tree otherwise healthy? Butternut Canker has wreaked havoc on them in most all states in the past 2 decades,populations down up to 90% in some states.Now either Threatened or Endangered in several.Watch this Fall,save as many nuts as you can.I only know of 1 tree around here big enough to bear fruit (its native range is a bit north & east me for the most part),a decent sized mishaped one in small town park about 1 hr west of me.Did manage to collect almost 1 full bushel after hulling,washing & drying the nuts last October.

Looks like we have some big stuff heading our way now. Severe weather warnings all over the west side of the state. But typically they peter out quite fast before they get to us. I see they are getting smaller but still looks like we might get something from them......I hope.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like we have some big stuff heading our way now. Severe weather warnings all over the west side of the state. But typically they peter out quite fast before they get to us. I see they are getting smaller but still looks like we might get something from them......I hope.

We got nailed by that last night, 2" of rain, strong winds, thunder and lightning. I thought I'd send it your way Dennis, your welcome.

The storm is just starting here Todd but I don't think we'll get that much rain unless it is a real downpour. We had a few pretty good wind gusts and can hear some thunder but so far just light rain. It is just this side of the county line and we are only 4 miles from the line! It should be raining pretty good any minute now.

They did have severe thunderstorm warnings out up to the county line but nothing for us, thank you.

Good year for nuts here too!

Our hazel trees which I planted a while back (actually intending to coppice for a wood supply) seem to have produced nuts!!!!!!!

Hazelnuts.jpg

Thistle said:
HollowHill said:

Is the tree otherwise healthy? Butternut Canker has wreaked havoc on them in most all states in the past 2 decades,populations down up to 90% in some states.Now either Threatened or Endangered in several.Watch this Fall,save as many nuts as you can.I only know of 1 tree around here big enough to bear fruit (its native range is a bit north & east me for the most part),a decent sized mishaped one in small town park about 1 hr west of me.Did manage to collect almost 1 full bushel after hulling,washing & drying the nuts last October.

Well, I thought it was fine until I looked at it closer and looked at some images for Butternut Canker. Could be that it has it, the area is not as black as I see in the images, but it is the right shape and funky looking. Drat!

On those 2 storms yesterday. The first one split so part went north and part went south of us. We got about .1" out of it. The second storm all stayed to our south. I'll be hauling a lot of water for a while. No rain in the forecast for the next week.

Walnuts have the limbs very heavy here.

Backwoods Savage said:

Haven't had any rain in TWO WHOLE WEEKS?? Sorry. You get no sympathy from me. We've had a little over two inches in the past four months with no relief in sight. Only seven inches for the whole year so far. And temperatures in the upper 90s and 100s for months. (I split wood one day in February when it was 95 outside.)

And we can't water without putting a strain on the well.

Our only hope is a tropical event. We don't need a hurricane but a nice slow moving, very wet tropical depression would help. It would take several of those to break our years long drought, though.

cptoneleg said:
I just read your post and wallked out back and looked, the White Oak that dropped so many on the ground last year hasn't even started to make yet this year. But for this ares if memory serves me right they drop in October, but there are none on the tree now.

We had a wet spring also and I would say more rain this summer than usual.

White Oaks produce a heavy crop typically every 3rd year but a crop every other year.

Status
Not open for further replies.