Oak Cherry Ash - hoping for a hot dry summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Rented a splitter last monday to finish off all the rounds I had left. Everything in this photo that is stacked was hand split this year. I was hoping to get by without a splitter rental - but I had about 20 or so rounds I couldn't bust. So I scrounged two truck loads of ash just to have something to go with the rounds I couldn't bust in order to justify the $ 60 rental. When I finished - I let my neighbor use it too and he did about the same, so it was a good day.

From left to right - I've got oak, maple/cherry, and ash. I feel good about all of it. The oak was dead fall for some time and didn't look to bad when I split it. With a hot dry summer - I should be good to go.

Notice the proper position for the splitter. I used a big round to sit on - and it was the last thing I split.

It's all stacked and now all mother nature needs to do is dry it out by october!

Attachments

• spring 003.jpg
    spring 003.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 395
  • spring 004.jpg
    spring 004.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 391
I see even your guard dog was helping out! My crazy Australian Shephard runs off with the smaller firewood before I can get it stacked....it's funny but she won't bring it back.
I guess you don't rent all that often, and at $60/day can't say as I blame you, but hydraulics makes it soooo easy!

You know Loon's dogs -- Murphy and Emma -- would have actually been helping you split the wood instead of just lazing around . . . like a dog. ;) :)

All the scattered splits are her doing. She thinks I am making them for her!

I still want to add to my stack for next year - but only ash or something already well on it's way. I think I can make it through next year with what I have got.

She's good with catching all the snakes and critters - so I'll give her props for that. She's caught atleast 20 snakes already this year.

basswidow said:
She's good with catching all the snakes and critters - so I'll give her props for that. She's caught atleast 20 snakes already this year.
A dog after my heart.

basswidow... lets get your opinion on this, when do you cover those stacks?
looks like lots of good work as well, how many cords?

Basswidow, I like your stacks and your splitting method. You have it together!

basswidow said:
Notice the proper position for the splitter.

I'm chillin in the dark ages with a beam that doesn't rotate. A comrade at work told me they used to make beer without hops too. Just ordered the herbs required to see if it compliments splitting horizontal :coolsmile:

So far, this has been a cold, wet spring here in northern NJ. It could easily turn on a dime, but man, today feels more like November than April. My stove is cranking right now.

-PB- said:
basswidow... lets get your opinion on this, when do you cover those stacks?
looks like lots of good work as well, how many cords?

I don't cover them until late Sept or early Oct. I think I may have 8 - 9 cords now.

Status
Not open for further replies.