Oak-ie Dokie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnuba

Feb 10, 2011
South Central PA
I scrouged an oak from a co-worker...

Here is the load of wood from the scrounge that I split and stacked today - yielded 1 and 1/3 cords.

376.jpg

375.jpg

380.jpg

394.jpg

393.jpg

392.jpg

384.jpg

Sweet score, was that stuff dead standing? If so that is even better.

Hey, welcome to the forum barnuba. That is a great find! Just beware that oak gives up its moisture very reluctantly. Around here we give it 3 years before throwing into the stove.

barnuba said:
I scrouged an oak from a co-worker...

Here is the load of wood from the scrounge that I split and stacked today - yielded 1 and 1/3 cords.

barnuba nice scrounge from your co-worker. I've never burned oak but what Sav says about the time for it to season is LAW!

Zap

I thought all the clever wood-related thread titles had been used up, but you proved me wrong.

Thanks for the welcome - I have been lurking on here for years but finally signed up!

This oak was a standing dead - the outside layer is a little punky but otherwise this is some solid stuff. I will definately let it season for a few.

Splitting gives one time to ponder...that is where the Oak-ie-Dokie was born :)

Jack Wagon said:
Nice pick up! Anyone know how long oak should sit split for standing dead? Could you take off a couple years?

It varies a lot. Some dead standign oak, especially smaller branches and the top parts of the tree, may be very dry and might be ready in the fall. Other parts of the same tree could be as wet or wetter than a live tree and require at least two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.