oak in the driveway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heatwise

Feeling the Heat
Sep 13, 2009
ohio
had time this weekend to get caught up with splitting some oak . i had the umbrella overhead and a fan aimed at me to make it comfortable and easy.

Attachments

• oak driveway.jpg
    oak driveway.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 431
Wow Pete. I'd have needed more than shade and wind if that was yesterday's work! That is some hard work for this time of the year.

heatwise said:
had time this weekend to get caught up with splitting some oak . i had the umbrella overhead and a fan aimed at me to make it comfortable and easy.

Pete I have to agree with Sav, nice work on a hot day.

Zap

zapny said:
heatwise said:

Pete I have to agree with Sav, nice work on a hot day.

Zap

Man, the EMTs would still be peeling me off the cement if I'd tried something like that yesterday. It got up to 95F yesterday, supposed to be 96F today and then 99F tomorrow...and with 50%+ humidity.<groan> I considered cutting some dead pine (which I did, but only to clear a road into the swamp) but instead just rode and looked from inside the a/c'd jeep...and picked a handful of blackberries for my MIL (how come you can't pick blackberries without eating a pound of them?).

Ed

FW-McG_20110530_1153Small.jpg

FW-McG_20110530_1154Small.jpg

FW-McG_20110530_1161Small.jpg

I always get a kick out of seeing pics from folks down South Ed . . . considering that we're a long, long ways from seeing any blackberries up here . . . sometime in the month of June or so we should see some strawberries though . . . the first berry that comes into season.

firefighterjake said:
I always get a kick out of seeing pics from folks down South Ed . . . considering that we're a long, long ways from seeing any blackberries up here . . . sometime in the month of June or so we should see some strawberries though . . . the first berry that comes into season.

It is indeed a different world at times between the south and north. Hearing ya'll talking about still burning and still getting snow when the temps were moving into the 70's and 80's down here is very interesting. But, I guess when the heat hits...it hits up your way the same as it does down here...looks like we're getting ready for the steamer down here.<sigh>

Here's something my wife picked in the yard this morning.... Ed
FW-_20110531_1171Small.jpg

I did 4 pickup loads c/s/s on Saturday, 2 in the AM and 2 after 5:00. I lost 4 pounds.

We got hit with our first ever tornado. 110 MPH. Trees down everywhere for 10 miles. I lost 5 trees on my 7 acre wooded lot. Really makes me respect you guys out west that get hit. We have hills which certainly broke up the storm. I've never seen the aftermath before, it's really something. One area next to a state highway had 5 crews cutting wood off the reduced to one lane road at the end of the 2nd working day after the storm. And it only took out 200 yards worth of trees.

One of the most interesting scenes was a 24" Pine tree maybe 10' from a house. No damage at all to the tree or the house. As I drove by someone was notching the tree and had it tied to a pickup to make sure it fell the right way. Lots & lots of nervous homeowners wary of next time.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wow Pete. I'd have needed more than shade and wind if that was yesterday's work! That is some hard work for this time of the year.
The good thing is that the river of sweat washes the biting insects away. At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself of, since I'll be cutting all summer.
:shut:

Woody Stover said:
]The good thing is that the river of sweat washes the biting insects away. At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself of, since I'll be cutting all summer.
:shut:

Yeah you keep telling yourself that...... HA HA HA.... I split year round so I will be right there with ya.... Let me know if it works, will ya ?

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.