OAK into Air Exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallpaper79

Jul 23, 2008
NL Canada
Just a quick question for you guys. I am currently building a house and I was going to have my contractor put in the OAK for my woodstove. He suggested maybe connecting it to the air exchanger. The contractor has never put in one of these before, and I think he is just trying to cut down on holes in the exterior. He doesn't know if this is a wise idea, and I am sceptical. I am afraid of the chance that if there was a fire, smoke would get spread into the house at a more rapid rate. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

If it were my home, I would keep the two separate. Rick

wallpaper79 said:
Just a quick question for you guys. I am currently building a house and I was going to have my contractor put in the OAK for my woodstove. He suggested maybe connecting it to the air exchanger. The contractor has never put in one of these before, and I think he is just trying to cut down on holes in the exterior. He doesn't know if this is a wise idea, and I am sceptical. I am afraid of the chance that if there was a fire, smoke would get spread into the house at a more rapid rate. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
absoltely NOT....I was told that was a big NO NO by more than one person.....do it as per the manual, who cares about the contractor's opinions.....does he pay your homeowner's insurance?..this is one thing in your house you do not want to shortcut....maybe time to find a more competent contractor IMHO.

i am an hvac guy and and you def don't want to do that. also that would be pushing air into the stove. dont think that is a good idea. do two separate. also it would then mean ur stove is connected directly to your wood stove. thats not a good idea. all in all just not the way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.