Oak Question (Pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
This pic is from Craigslist. According to the owner, it was bucked about a year ago. If split and stacked today, when would this Oak be ready?

Attachments

• Oak.jpg
    Oak.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 577
If it is oak. At least 2 yrs from when its split.

Very small splits and put it in the sun or better yet a windy spot and it will be "usable" late dec.. regular splits maybe '12 but for sure 2013.. if we are here

Rcrozier said:
This pic is from Craigslist. According to the owner, it was bucked about a year ago. If split and stacked today, when would this Oak be ready?

That's one of the red varieties....aka THE slowest seasoning wood known to man...or at least this man. Seasoning in the round doesn't help much, so you might as well treat it as fresh cut.

lukem said:
That's one of the red varieties....aka THE slowest seasoning wood known to man
Doesn't look like Red...could be Pin or Black. I'm not sure which other varieties are in the Red group...

Not pin oak.

Will it be ready. Not if it is in my wood piles! This oak needs time after being split Oak is great wood for stoves but its drawback is that it is a slow drying wood. If it is a good price, I'd snatch that up fast though.

Two to three years.

Woody Stover said:
lukem said:
Doesn't look like Red...could be Pin or Black. I'm not sure which other varieties are in the Red group...

I'm not great when it gets down to the species. I know it is oak...and I know it is not white. Could be black, but I've seen red look like that too.

:coolgrin:
lukem said:
Woody Stover said:
lukem said:

I'm not great when it gets down to the species. I know it is oak...and I know it is not white. Could be black, but I've seen red look like that too.

Usually red will have much deeper cracks in the bark. (more aggressive looking if you will) Darn sure know at the first split though...

They sure are some fine and fun looking rounds to split, I would grab them for sure just due to the ease of splitting.

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
Woody Stover said:
lukem said:

Usually red will have much deeper cracks in the bark. (more aggressive looking if you will) Darn sure know at the first split though...

Don't disagree, but I have 4 cord of red oak rounds in my yard that look an awful lot like those.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
Woody Stover said:
lukem said:

Don't disagree, but I have 4 cord of red oak rounds in my yard that look an awful lot like those.

It sure could be! :)

Here is what I think is a red oak round.

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 359
Here is what I think is a black oak round:

Attachments

• black.jpg
    black.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 356
Here's a big pile o'oak rounds:

Attachments

• pile (Large).jpg
    pile (Large).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 396
If that was a year old and I split it now and put it in a really dry, wide open to the wind and sun, and no rain area, I'd use it next spring and mix it in with stuff I knew was drier. If only using this, fall 2K12.

S

I count 2 years and that's from when it's split, not cut.
Kinda humid here though.

Seems like a waste of heat/wood to burn it any sooner than that.

lukem said:
Here's a big pile o'oak rounds:

LOL I would have to agree with THAT! :lol:

lukem said:
Here is what I think is a black oak round.
Lukem, I think you have these backwards. The red oak has a smoother bark, black is more furrowed. They are both from the red oak family.

GolfandWoodNut said:
lukem said:
Lukem, I think you have these backwards. The red oak has a smoother bark, black is more furrowed. They are both from the red oak family.

That pile would make a nice Avatar! :coolsmile:

GolfandWoodNut said:
lukem said:

Sure do. I'll adjust the post for future reference. Both are "red" in my simple mind though.

lukem said:
Here is what I think is a red oak round.
That's what threw me in the OP's pic; I didn't see the broad, flat plates that Red usually shows, at least farther up in the branches...

Status
Not open for further replies.