Oak Split and Stacked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seeyal8r

Feeling the Heat
Jan 20, 2011
Central Oklahoma
I used my truck to drag out about 12 select white oak trees. I loaded them in 2 trailer loads and hauled it to my house. I split 2 ricks and hauled up to the house for end of winter burning. The rest I stacked in the trees seen here. All split by hand. Roughly 8.5 ricks. So all together in 40 hours of work spread over 2 weeks of evenings and weekends I harvested a little over 10 ricks which should be enough wood for 2 winters and about $3K in heating bill savings. I don't "need" any more but the greedy person in me is going to make a couple more trips though since the wood is easy to get.

Attachments

• IMG01164.jpg
    IMG01164.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 755
Looks good.

I hope the wind doesn't get kickin too hard and dump your stacks.

2 years is enough ??? Heck no !!! I would get at least twice that...

Shawn

lukem said:
Looks good.

I hope the wind doesn't get kickin too hard and dump your stacks.

+1 Yup I was thinking the same thing especially when the leaves come back... It does look nice though!

Ray

Can't imaging there's too many here who have stacked between younger trees and had to restack after a windy day.
:)

that's a nice pic, though.

I learned the hard way but how else is there to learn. Maybe that's just me :red:

Yup learned the hard way too. Once the leaves get on those trees i have a feeling they are going to fall......

Very cool & artful stack of wood. Nice picture.
As for is it enough, never enough. You just never know when you'll be able to get
more, so get it while you can. Specially if it's , EASY! (a relative term for sure)

I'm not familiar with the term "rick". How many cubic feet is a rick?
I finally (almost) figured out "face cord" is 1/3 cord, 42.5 cubic ft. or one row of 16" splits, 8' long 4' high.
(my wood is 17" so I call it "Fat-face cord" :lol: Now maybe I'll call it a "Fat Rick" ;)

Did find this: A Rick:
A rick of firewood, sometimes referred to as a face cord, has no predetermined measurement.
Often, a face cord is considered a 4-foot high by 8-foot long stack of wood that is one log deep.

Great picture
& get more of that good wood while the getting is good. Even "easy to get fire wood" is hard work!

Heaterhunter said:
I learned the hard way but how else is there to learn. Maybe that's just me :red:

I'm not admittting how many times I restacked before I realized it was the trees wiggling in thee wind that was knocking the piles over.
At one point I though I had either really mean and vindictive or retarded deer.

Looks great! But add me to the list of people who had to pick up the stack after a wind storm! I was not amused...I put such care into my stacking!

Nice stacks, good wood too. I'm always interested to see the differences in the amount of wood we all need to burn in our different environments. That might be 2 seasons for you, but up here in New England thats more like 2 months.

I think you're premature to be thinking of burning that wood this year, but I guess if its all you've got you burn what you've got. It might not be ready to burn next season either, oak takes awhile to season.

A rick as I understand it, is a synonym for face cord...a 4'x8' stack of split wood of a uniform length, but neither a face cord, nor a rick has a defined length. Many people say 16" long splits which does make 1/3 of a cord, but a face cord or a rick could very well be make up of 10" long splits or 50" splits and still be a face cord/rick.

Another thought on stacking by the trees is that the trees will be damaged as the wind blows and the wood rubs. It is still best to stack away from the trees.

Why not get more than 2 years ahead on wood? Get 4 or 5 years ahead. Maybe 6 or 7 years ahead. If handled correctly the wood will not rot and it will burn extremely well.

Ozark Woodburner said:
Everyone around here measures in "rick" too. It is a 8 x 4 stack, could be 24 inch sticks or 16 inch sticks, whatever length you burn.

It must be a mid-south or southern thing. If you mention a cord or face cord you'll get a questioning look around here. Everybody seems to sell by the rick or pickup load.

Coach B said:
Ozark Woodburner said:
Everyone around here measures in "rick" too. It is a 8 x 4 stack, could be 24 inch sticks or 16 inch sticks, whatever length you burn.

It must be a mid-south or southern thing. If you mention a cord or face cord you'll get a questioning look around here. Everybody seems to sell by the rick or pickup load.

Regardless, cord is the standard measurement. That way everyone knows what you are talking about. It is a set volume whereas a 'rick' is not a set volume.

[/quote]

Regardless, cord is the standard measurement. That way everyone knows what you are talking about. It is a set volume whereas a 'rick' is not a set volume.[/quote]
Which is probably why sellers like to use it.

CTwoodburner said:
Coach B said:
Ozark Woodburner said:

Regardless, cord is the standard measurement. That way everyone knows what you are talking about. It is a set volume whereas a 'rick' is not a set volume.

Beg to differ. Around here, a cord IS a "face cord", or "rick". Old ways and habits die hard.
Talking to my brother and a friend just the other day, and I said "wow, you use 20 cord, you mean 20 FULL cord"? The answer was "yep". My brother knows it's a sore point with me and cleared things up..sorta....by telling the guy what MY definition of a cord is.
I'm the odd man out around here with my fancy schmantzy definitions. I do agree that a face cord or rick can be pretty much anything, but it's SOP around here.
To the OP, nice haul.

PapaDave, you might be an odd man, but you are not alone! What in Sam Hill does SOP mean?

Standard operating procedure

Backwoods Savage said:
Why not get more than 2 years ahead on wood? Get 4 or 5 years ahead. Maybe 6 or 7 years ahead. If handled correctly the wood will not rot and it will burn extremely well.

This is the first year I am not burning next year's wood this spring. It feels good. I am now working on 2012-2013. Due to my family/work/school schedule gettting ahead is tough. I am sure many are in the same boat.

Cascade Failure said:
Backwoods Savage said:

This is the first year I am not burning next year's wood this spring. It feels good. I am now working on 2012-2013. Due to my family/work/school schedule gettting ahead is tough. I am sure many are in the same boat.

Not all, some of us got crippled up & are" living vicariously" through the posts on this forum.
But we sure do want to get out there & cut some wood.
"Too much wood" Words are not in our vocabulary!
"We'll be back" with some new pictures, just a "time" thing.
aaaah, the smell of 2 cycle exhaust, odor of fresh wood chips, a new wood stack to admire for a few minutes before splitting/stacking more,
the perfect round to split (slap ; slap back to reality). :lol:
But I & others, think it's fun work & miss it allot.
Thanks for the post & pictures. Gives some of us "incentive" :)

I'm not too worried about the wind and I'm sure I'll lose some but its not staying stacked there for long anyway. I'm working on a wood shed soon.

Not worried about the trees getting hurt. If they die it means more stinky firewood. (i don't like how elm smells and neither does the wifey)

As for the Rick versus Chord discussion. I'd read lots of places on this forum where people were talking about chords and must say I didn't know what it meant. so its a stack of wood 4'X4'X8'. I'd never heard of it before. But in oklahoma we say lots of stuff different. Wood is bought, sold, and burned in ricks around here. a rick (to me) is a 4'X8' stack of wood. There has been much discussion on the length of a split in a rick. I keep mine to around 16" and definitely less than 20" since my insert won't take any larger and my wife has less trouble loading it.

This year I burned some of the wood seen the day after it was cut down. I don't like burning super green wood but sometimes its what ya got. I'm beginning to cut more for future years. I got in contact with a guy who has 5 acres of standing straight oak that he wants cleared. The work begins again. but as many have said it is fun work and I really enjoy the chainsaws and conquering the trees. The free heat isn't bad also.

Status
Not open for further replies.