oak splits, drying time excellerated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Oslo heats my home

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2010
South Shore, MA
This questions is for anyone that can help with excellerating drying time with some oak splits.

My situation is this: I have this years wood dried and ready to go, my issue is that I have hardly any
serious hardwood in the mix, as I normally do. Generally I have at least 50% oak or ash, this year I have less than
25% .

The green oak that has just been split for the following years mix is 80% oak. A portion of this oak I split to smaller
than normal splits in hopes that I can get them dry enough to use this year. I only need about 1.5 cord.

I have heard some folks cover their wood with black plastic from top to bottom, leaving the floor space open as a ventilation
port. In the sunlight the heated plastic would force any moisture onto the inside of the plastic and it would roll off onto
the ground.

I'm feeling kinda skeptical, theres no wind moving through the stack.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

split it smaller and single stack in the wind. its oak so your pushing your luck for it being dry for this year. i think wrapping it would only sufficate it. cover the top only with an airspace on top and leave it be

ecocavalier02 said:
split it smaller and single stack in the wind. its oak so your pushing your luck for it being dry for this year. i think wrapping it would only sufficate it. cover the top only with an airspace on top and leave it be

The splits are no larger than say 4x6 inches apiece, in hopes I could get them dry in short time. Fingers crossed :)

I'd just leave the oak in next year's pile & let it fully season, & just burn whatever softwood or "non-serious" hardwood you have in this year's pile. Plenty of people out west get by using 100% softwood, & no hardwood, & still get plenty of heat, so I'm sure that you'll be just fine even if the oak doesn't season in time for this year. :)

Send it to me and I will take care of it. Or, Lots of sun and wind is about all you can do. Just be sure to give it the time it needs or it will be a waste of great wood and a creosote machine.

4x6? Say hello 2x3 :)

4x6 is a pretty sizable split in my book, a full sized split. Put is in the brightest, airiest spot you've got, single row stacked, and split again from it's current size, and you'll be fine. If you want hardwood that badly...

You will certainly have to split again and force air through the entire stack. If you can keep the air flow going you should do alright. Maybe!

Scrounge up some more ash and leave the oak until it's ready.

Theres no magic drying that I am aware of.

Any place around that might have a kiln that they are only running half full? That is about the only way I know of to make it happen.

If you're interested in a fair sized project you might check out the Virginia Tech Solar Kiln Plans. It seems like more than I want to get involved in, but there are smaller plans on the www for solar kilns. I'm still toying with the idea of tinkering with building a simple one using four poles and framework. You've gotta have air exchange so the moisture can leave the kiln...air in and air/moisture out. Simply wrapping a stack of wood in plastic is not a good idea...all kinds of fungus, rot, yuck would grow inside envelope...and that nice wood wouldn't be nice anymore.

Basically the best things to do is to make your splits small, stack the splits loosely with the ends facing the direction of the prevailing wind, and if possible stack with a good air space *under* the stack. I have mine stacked on 2x4's which are lain flat on top of 8x16 inch cement blocks (thanks for the idea rdust!)...this creates a good flow of air all around the stacks.

Best wishes.

Ed

My Oslo heats my home said:
ecocavalier02 said:

The splits are no larger than say 4x6 inches apiece, in hopes I could get them dry in short time. Fingers crossed :)

Like others have said, you need to split smaller if you want the fastest drying time and you want to stack where you get lots of wind. Sun will also help some but wind it the most important.

On covering the wood, to hasten the drying process I would not cover it. If you want some evaporation from the sun, then it is best left uncovered. We always leave our stacks uncovered the first summer and fall and then cover the top only before the snow flies.

So split small, stack loose and in the wind. Make sure you have extra space between the stack and the ground. If you can raise it 10", I'd do that but only because you need fast drying. Normally I would not go that high off the ground but it certainly does not harm anything.

Im short for next year too so Ive been perusing craigslist looking for a pellet convert that wants to get rid of his seasoned wood, I found some maple that I can hopefuly get to Saturday. Check CG for your area, you might get lucky and you can just let the stuff you have season for next year.

What kind of Oak is it? I had some green Shingle Oak, split to 2x3 and stacked in June, that was fairly dry last winter. But I think Shingle dries a bit faster than White. Red is said to be the slowest.

Mix it in, you'll be fine by then. I've seen some pretty heinous wood drying techniques out there and I get a good laugh every time. Wind is your friend and try to find a sunny location to stack it!

Lots of repeats on this one,Thanks! Looks like I may be out of luck on drying by the time for cold weather and NO way am I splitting all that in half again... I think I'd just assume leave it as it is for this year and keep it for next. I have come into close contact with a small (maybe 1 cord) dead standing maple that will work for me in place of the green oak. Fingers crossed that the bugs didn't make a mess of it yet. Looks good on the outside :)

My Oslo heats my home said:
Lots of repeats on this one,Thanks! Looks like I may be out of luck on drying by the time for cold weather and NO way am I splitting all that in half again... I think I'd just assume leave it as it is for this year and keep it for next. I have come into close contact with a small (maybe 1 cord) dead standing maple that will work for me in place of the green oak. Fingers crossed that the bugs didn't make a mess of it yet. Looks good on the outside :)

If you want to burn it this year aplit smaller, My Oslo did pretty good first yr on oak split small before Memorial day. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.