odd pellet storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
i have a big freezer in the basement that i cant get out. i decided to get some use out of it. itll hold 26 bags. i just backed a ton up to basement window and used a shoot to dump pellets into the freezer. my sister thinks they will mold. its always been dry in the freezer even though i do have a damp basement. it did have a mildew oder. i guess we will see. i hope i dont transfer any mold to the stove f it does get moldy.

I've seen people use them to store corn.

Attachments

• burningcorn116.jpg
    burningcorn116.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 476
You could always take the door gasket off and put someting betwwen the door so air could circulate in it.

or remove the door and stack them higher...

take the guess work out. put one of those cheap electronic gadgets ($6 at Wal Mart) which measure humidity, check the humidity both in the room and in the freezer . If the humidity is more or less than what it is in the open area of your basement, you will have your answer as to if you should leave the freezer open or closed. Check it from time to time. During the winter, our whole house becomes very dry and must be supplemented with a humidifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.