Odor of wet dog since I began burning okies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demsta80

Feb 15, 2010
NE Mass
Has anyone noticed an odor from okies and do Cubex have any odor my Agway can no longer sell okies so will switch to Cubex

rrrrrrr ruff ruff. Sure a dog didn't jump down your chimney.

Love the smell of Okies. Perhaps you have a wet batch.

every time I log on here, it makes me thankfull for the three consistant good years burning UNCLE JED's... Douglas Fir softwood pellets, that are the cleanest, hottest burning pellets I have ever burned.

perchin said:
every time I log on here, it makes me thankfull for the three consistant good years burning UNCLE JED's... Douglas Fir softwood pellets, that are the cleanest, hottest burning pellets I have ever burned.

x2

demsta80 said:
Has anyone noticed an odor from okies and do Cubex have any odor my Agway can no longer sell okies so will switch to Cubex

BTU told me that once in a while they get some cat spruce mixed into there supply. That's what's giving you the cat pee smell. I had an entire ton that smelled like that this season. I was embarrassed if someone stopped in. It was so bad I switched over to my Green Teams during the Holiday's so I could enjoy the smell of the tree.

I'll never buy them again. Why pay a premium price to stink up my house and then have them so "matter of factly" say...."it happens"...

Is dogwood hard or soft wood? Maybe that's your answer! I've heard it all

BTU combated the cat spruce smell with some dog wood. So no more cat pee smell, But you now get wet dog! :)

OP did you get these from a dealer that had outside storage? Wet pellets of any species will have bad smells IMHO.

time to add pine needles or oregano to the pellets!

Chanel Number 5 is generally the preferred pellet fragrance, just be thankful it wasn't skunk spruce.

Wet dog, you bet.

Just a little wet, and a little like worms. Like a dog eating worms off the driveway during a light rain.

Not as bad as a dog that got wet playing in a swamp though.

Bad batch? I only bought 8 bags to try them. I'm going to assume that they usually don't smell this bad.

demsta80 said:

Cubex are a great pellet too, however, any pellet will emit nastiful odors if they are stored improperly and get damp. Softwoods tend to do this easier than hardwoods. I have been burning Okies for 3 years and have never smelled this. Not saying it isn't happening, just it hasn't ever happened to me.

demsta80 said:

I would have to agree on the odor from okies. I had them stored in a dry garage, they never got wet. If anything they were too dry, tons of dust. A lot of people swear by them but I wouldn't go out of my way for them. I would switch to the Cubex in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.