Off Season Vent Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
So, 2007-2008 was my first heating season. I love my pellet stove (Harman Advance) and I think I did a pretty good job keeping up with the maintenance piece (cleaned burnpot every other day, vacuumed the entire thing roughly every weekend).

Now that it's summer, I want to be sure the exhaust vents are clean. I know some people have professionals do this, but I'm wondering if it's something I could/should do myself... so I thought this would be a good place to ask for opinions. I looked around and didn't see anything in great detail about vent cleaning... everyone mentions that you should do it once a year, but I couldn't find a step by step.

I'm a little apprehensive because it obviously requires taking the vent apart and then putting it back together... something I have no experience with. Also, do I need to go on the roof and open up the screen/rain cap? What tools would I need to ensure I'm doing this properly?

Thanks in advance!

adam

it aint hard, look around for brush and rod kits , i know the Tractor supply in my hometown carries they "worcester brush co." makes em at least the ones TSC carries, mine is direct connected into a 6" chimney so its a six inch for me , and i take the section from the stove to the flue connector outside and clean it.

little tip , if you have to seperate pipe sections , it can be a bear barehanded, i use a pair of strap wrenches, oil filter werenches in the right size work well as well. put one on each side of the joint to be loosened , makes the job much easier

It's pretty easy if it's not in a liner of some sort. HD and others have the brushes and rod kits for around $40. Most of the accumulation is closest to the stove. It's also a good time to clean out around the temp. probe, if you have the trap removed the daylight coming in helps. Don't forget to pull the back covers and get the fines out of the feed mechanisms. If there's a lot,cover the blower fans so you're not blowing sawdust all over your house when you fire the stove up next time. Ask me how I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.