Off Topic...A Recent Funeral

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends..so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Wisconsin back country. I was not familiar with the backwoods and got lost among the back roads. I arrived an hour late & saw that the funeral director was gone and the hearse was no where in sight. Only the diggers and crew were left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played my heart out like never before for this man with no family or friends. As I played "Amazing Grace" the workers began to weep. We all wept together. Then I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full. As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, " I never seen nothin' like that before and I have been putting in septic tanks for twenty years.

OMG

I was reading this post and the tears were puckering up and starting down my cheek.

When I hit the Punch line I knew for sure that I had been sucked in.

Great little story for sure.

Gotta pack that one away for another time.

Snowy

I know I`ve heard it before but I really got a kick out of it again.
That`s the good part of getting old and forgetful. Not only do I meet new friends every day but the old jokes are fine too.

Krooser,

It has been too long since you have posted.

Good to have you back.

I can only assume that you were on an extended vacation with America's Next top Models in the Bahamas . . . . or . . . .enrolled in witness protection.

Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.