Oh Craig's list. You've done it again.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drozenski

Aug 14, 2010
Rochester NY
http://rochester.craigslist.org/zip/2546485745.html

"Two free, very desirable, Black Walnut trees (you cut down) if you cut and remove 3 additional trees on property. Trees located in Hilton, NY"

So, i see an add for free fire wood, seems harmless so i check it out. Then i find this. The guy will give you 2 black walnut trees for free, if you cut down 3 other trees on the property. Thats 5 trees in total. Not just that they are crazy close to homes. Like 10 feet close.

He must be on the good stuff to think any one would even attempt this for free. Unless those trees are $2000 trees

Says nothing about insurance - just drop them on the house

Yep, no license, no insurance req'd. Notch em & drop em. Wow, some people! A C

[preaching]

Papa Pen will speak up and be certain that everyone realizes there is a lot of sarcasm used in the black and white print of the last 2 posts.

Whether or not they require insurance, you take that offer and make a mistake (which could mean a branch crosses the property line and causes damage to their sod) and these people will make you pay for it.

I'm building a house now and you wouldn't believe the legal @#$#^ we've had to go through to trim a few trees which cross a property line which would have been physically touching the new structure. All this BS and I live in backwoods / rural Pa, not a major sub or metro w/ lots of good lawyers to choose from.

Be careful.

[/preaching]

pen

Aaron Pasteris said:

His homeowner's insurance would cover the claim and possibly come after you under its right of subrogation. Meanwhile, the homeowner will collect the insurance claim check and just hold his hands in the air. Not worth the headache.

[rant]What the hell's the deal with all these links to CL ads, anyway? We don't have anything else to talk about? Holey Moley, if we all posted links to everything stupid we found on the internet, these forums would become totally clogged up with useless junk. I have a computer, and I can look at CL if I want...I don't really need anyone's help. Thanks anyway.[/rant] Carry on.

fossil said:
[rant]What the hell's the deal with all these links to CL ads, anyway? We don't have anything else to talk about? Holey Moley, if we all posted links to everything stupid we found on the internet, these forums would become totally clogged up with useless junk. I have a computer, and I can look at CL if I want...I don't really need anyone's help. Thanks anyway.[/rant] Carry on.

Nice rant, especially for a mod.

Luckily, we have titles to these threads and if somebody doesn't want to look at a CL thread, all they have to do is not click on it. I see curiosity got the better of you.

Actually had a great experience today with Craig's List. Yesterday I responded to 4 decent ads for free wood and got one hit. Not only did I get about 3/4 cord of seasoned wood, but I have permission to cut and take everything that is down on their lot and they have a heavily wooded 3.5 acres with a bunch of good looking trees on the ground. They can probably mow the 3.5 acres with a push mower. That is how heavily treed this place is. I am thinking I will have enough wood for 3 to 4 years just from this one place alone. On top of the wood score, the people were extremely nice.

Never used Craig's List before, but after somebody posted last week about a CL ad for free wood in the Baltimore area, I decided to check it out on a daily basis. Now, I need to find a decent sized and cheap trailer to help with hauling all this wood.

As it sits at this moment there are 7 posts regarding CL on the first 2 pages of the wood shed! :-/

128668492225970235.jpg

pen

Sounds like we need a scrounger's forum to keep the riff raff out of the woodshed :coolsmirk:

fabsroman said:
Aaron Pasteris said:

His homeowner's insurance would cover the claim and possibly come after you under its right of subrogation. Meanwhile, the homeowner will collect the insurance claim check and just hold his hands in the air. Not worth the headache.

Next time I'll drop some smileys in for the what I thought was obvious sarcasm

Honestly these CL ad's helped me when I was starting scrounging. Not that I would have been licensed or Insured, but it helped me realize what is too much expected on my part and what is a decent scrounge.

I'll agree with the whining about the CL ads here if Fossil agrees with me wanting a weather forum so every other post during the spring and fall in the pellet and wood forum isnt:

Gee, its hot here, I'm not burning. I stopped burning already, I have snow and it's june...

I too have a computer Fossil, and I can check the weather where ever I choose to. So you petition the powers that be for a "funny CL forum" while I petition for a "I'm colder and hotter than you" forum.

fossil said:

And no one is holding a gun to your head and making you click on a link that is clearly labeled as a Craigslist Thread.
There are a lot of topics I don't read and threads that I don't click on because they do not interest or concern me. For example:
I'm not going to click on a link such as "Can't Get Husky XP to start." I don't have a Husky XP and I certainly don't have any expertise to offer. We're all free to read or not read any topic.
Carry on.

I think a craigslist forum would be a hoot. Lots of entertainment value there. Like 'best of craigslist', only wood burning related.

jeff_t said:
I think a craigslist forum would be a hoot. Lots of entertainment value there. Like 'best of craigslist', only wood burning related.

I don't find enough variation from the theme of "must be pro, must do it for free (or pay me), must remove everything including saw dust, and oh - its rubbing the house" to have its own forum.

I would bet that after about a week, the record would start to skip.

Aaron Pasteris said:
fabsroman said:
Aaron Pasteris said:

Next time I'll drop some smileys in for the what I thought was obvious sarcasm

FYI - I am HORRIBLE with sarcasm on the internet. Just HORRIBLE. I don't get it on hunting, fishing, or cycling chatboards, and seriously doubt I will get it here.

Personally, I don't mind a little humor mixed in the posts.

I find the CL ads to be very entertaining but I don't always read them. I saw one here yesterday for free pine trees that were close to a house and very, very tall. The ad claimed that the trees were very valuable and of course required insurance. If those pines are as valuable as this person thinks they are I must be sitting on a gold mine at my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.