Oh- it;s hand split (CS Ad)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats not really any more expensive. Most ads I'm seeing are running the range of $180-$225 a cord. The delivery charge is unusual though.

The nice straight red oak I cut last winter splits way faster by hand. It sees the Fiskars and falls apart. Not sure that makes it worth any more, and I wouldn't feel the need to advertise it.

I've split oak with a maul and wedges. It can be tough stuff. If I sweat more, can't I charge a premium?
:)

I tried splitting by hand one time but finally gave up and used an axe.

Backwoods Savage said:

Savage - From the stories I have been reading in here, I don't think you ever split by hand or ax. You are the 'VERTICAL SPLITTING WIZZARD'.

Maybe they should have advertised 'Hand split by Juan Valdez' and then it would be worth more. :lol:

wannabegreener said:
Maybe they should have advertised 'Hand split by Juan Valdez' and then it would be worth more. :lol:

Only if they deliver it on the back of a donkey.

wannabegreener said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Savage - From the stories I have been reading in here, I don't think you ever split by hand or ax. You are the 'VERTICAL SPLITTING WIZZARD'.

:lol:

Ah, but I can assure you I've split more with an axe than I have with the hydraulics. In fact, I split with axe (or sledge and wedge as needed) for many years before I was given a splitting maul and that was in the 70's. Then when I got hurt in the 80's is when the hydraulics came along. I just wish now that I had the hydraulics many years sooner!

Backwoods Savage said:
wannabegreener said:
Backwoods Savage said:

:lol:

Ah, but I can assure you I've split more with an axe than I have with the hydraulics. In fact, I split with axe (or sledge and wedge as needed) for many years before I was given a splitting maul and that was in the 70's. Then when I got hurt in the 80's is when the hydraulics came along. I just wish now that I had the hydraulics many years sooner!

ok! i'll be the one to ask..

were you also sitting down when you split using the axe/wedge??? is that how you got hurt??

(just kidding, but you know that! i have never seen someone get so much grief for splitting in the vertical/sitting mode!!!)

It's just all in good fun Dave. But you might find it interesting that I did do quite a bit of splitting while sitting down! After I was hurt I just had to try doing something and that winter found me outside splitting some ash. I simply sat down and used the sledge and wedge. As you know, ash splits really easy so all I did was sit and just sort of tapped the sledge on the wedge. Yes, it was slow going but at least I was able to do something. But that was the reason I bought the hydraulics.

yooperdave said:
ok! i'll be the one to ask..

were you also sitting down when you split using the axe/wedge??? is that how you got hurt??

(just kidding, but you know that! i have never seen someone get so much grief for splitting in the vertical/sitting mode!!!)

Of course he was sitting down...he was splitting vertically, right?

Silly question.

Backwoods Savage said:

In the words of the newly deemed "Impregnator"; Dat's a good one!

mywaynow said:
Backwoods Savage said:

In the words of the newly deemed "Impregnator"; Dat's a good one!

Oh thanks, now I have the urge to do really bad Arnold impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.