Oh no I went and did it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xena

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2005
South Shore MA
Feck it I caved and fired up the stove this afternoon.
Went for a ride on the motorcycle for a couple hours
and even tho the thermometer read 60, with that
wind it was way brrrrrr. Hands were cold when I got home
and the stove was calling my name.
Pushed that button and 4 minutes later she lit right up.

caved.jpg

Very nice, I can almost feel the heat. I still haven't lit mine yet, probably not until mid October, but who knows. :)

Oh no! Now were even loosing the vets to the calling! :ahhh:

Not yet-don't do it-must not give in=I have been very tempted but the house temps are still in the low 70's. Heck we just pulled the AC's out Saturday! Once they dip in the high 60's The wifey will give me back the power cord. :lol: :)

Nice looking fire Xena! :)

Nope, not yet. House was down to 62 this morning, but came up a bit with the sunshine. Heck, I did yardwork in shorts and a t-shirt at 4-6PM. Still tryin to hold on to summer, but Mother Nature is winning :)

Although I can sympathize with the cold to the bone feeling after a ride on a day like today....... Great looking fire Xena!!!!

j-takeman said:

Not yet-don't do it-must not give in=I have been very tempted but the house temps are still in the low 70's. Heck we just pulled the AC's out Saturday! Once they dip in the high 60's The wifey will give me back the power cord. :lol: :)

did u ever find that cord?

I didn't know pellet stoves had windows on them to make them look like a real stove. That is neat. I thought about pellets, but the $450/ton price for pellets made my choice really fast!

smwilliamson said:
j-takeman said:

Nope not yet! :)

I caved in also yesterday 45 and rain all day. nice and tosty in the house.

Yesterday evening I pulled out the OAK and vent plugs, reattached the vent cap, and put the Tee cap back on.

Today or tomorrow I'll install a new door gasket, but the stove will not be fired until the middle of this month at the earliest.

ETA: This a sneaky way to get more yummy Bear snacks as the boss lady will do some baking.

Aahhh! looks nice and cozy.

Fired up my XXV for a few hours this morning to get the chill out.
Cold and rainy for the next few days.

smwilliamson said:
j-takeman said:

Well, The wife saw what the low was supposed to be tonight. The power cord magically appeared. :) hehe

Forgot how nice the fire felt when its chilly and raw. Looks like we have a few days of damp rain and raw temps. So I can mark my log as October 4th as the start of the season! :)

j-takeman said:
smwilliamson said:
j-takeman said:

Well, The wife saw what the low was supposed to be tonight. The power cord magically appeared. :) hehe

Forgot how nice the fire felt when its chilly and raw. Looks like we have a few days of damp rain and raw temps. So I can mark my log as October 4th as the start of the season! :)

My stove is now ready to go, still got to wait as we don't need it yet.

I'm still waiting here, although she did make me turn on the dreaded heat pump :smirk: Because it is cool and damp from the rain but she says it will get too warm with the stove lit. Possibly by mid October, we'll see.

j-takeman said:
smwilliamson said:
j-takeman said:

looks like you are getting the weather I have been having for the last 2 days.

OK, I cry "Uncle".....I've had a bad cold for the past 3-4 days, and yesterday I caved in and fired the stove up......10 days before the date I set for myself :sick: .

Mmmmmmmmm.......that heat feels good! Started out with a half bag of Premier I had left over, and am now "testing" the Stove Chow. So far, so good.

I also sprayed the combustion blades and motor plate under the blades with graphite last spring when I cleaned the stove, so we'll see how that works.

FIRED MINE UP LAST NIGHT AS WELL, NOW THEY ARE CALLING FOR LOW 70'S FOR A WEEK. IT DOES FEEL GOOD THOUGH.

NATE379 said:
I didn't know pellet stoves had windows on them to make them look like a real stove. That is neat. I thought about pellets, but the $450/ton price for pellets made my choice really fast!

$450.00/ton??? Really??

CygnusX1 said:
NATE379 said:

$450.00/ton??? Really??

Regional pricing! He's in Alaska. Can't imagine what it costs to truck stuff up there? Specially if its on the Dalton highway. Ice road truckers anyone(love that show)?

j-takeman said:
CygnusX1 said:
NATE379 said:

$450.00/ton??? Really??

Regional pricing! He's in Alaska. Can't imagine what it costs to truck stuff up there? Specially if its on the Dalton highway. Ice road truckers anyone(love that show)?

Missed the Alaska part. Makes much more sense now.

NATE379 said:
OK Nate, first off, apparently you haven't looked at any pellets stoves made for the last several years as they all have windows, and 2nd... although maybe it should have been 1st... where the heck do you live that pellets cost $450 per ton!!!? (yeah, I know Palmer, AK, but still...) That's like double what I pay for the highest price pellets I can buy. eeesh.

Chilly this morning so fired it up again and
she's running now. Really don't mind burning
a few bags here and there now. A few years
ago it got colder than this and by Sept 1st
we were up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.